PDA

View Full Version : Which infant carseat should I buy for baby #5?

NHarris
08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I am due with baby #5 on September 20 and still haven't been able to decide on a car seat. I used a car seat without a base for my first two, a borrowed one with a base for number 3 and bought a carseat with a base and 5pt harness for baby #4. I gave that one away when we moved a couple of years ago and he will turn 5 in November anyway. I drive a 2004 Toyota Sienna, and so I think most anything will fit. With four older kids though, we are in and out of the car a lot, so I was thinking that I should get the lightest thing I can find. (The combi Connection 7.7lbs, or the Graco Snugride 7.24lbs). I figure that the convenience of lightweight will be more important than longetivity since I will need to purchase a new larger carseat eventually too. I was originally considering either the Graco Safeseat or the Chicco Keyfit, but they are both about 10lbs. Finally, I have a Peg Perego Pliko that I bought with our youngest after wearing my first one out and would love to snap a carseat in it, but I don't think it is compatible with anything but the Peg Perego seat which is expensive and heavy. I can't find any of these seats except the Gracos locally to look at in person so I will probably need to order online. Also, I definitely want a front adjustable harness which nearly all of the snugrides that I have found locally don't have.
What do you think I should do?

Joolsplus2
08-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Is it that old Pliko (I guess all Plikos are old? lol)... because most P3's have taken the Snugride for a couple model years now (there's no snap in option, but the seatbelt holds the seat in).
We have been pretty happy with our Combi Connection, though the harness is a bit smoother to adjust in the Snugride (not a huge deal...) http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats Maybe you could just get a carseat frame (Snap n go, Kolcraft universal, snugrider) to use for the first few months for errands? My $40 on sale Kolcraft has held up really well to being crammed in the van, flying on a plane, mall crawling (big basket, nice cupholders, steers well).

Good luck
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

NHarris
08-30-2006, 03:41 PM
I bought it in 2002 and it does have two little clip things that can flip up. I thought they were for snapping a carseat into, but I haven't ever used them. I really like the step on back, but I was considering a carseat carrier frame too. Thanks for your thoughts.

MamaParis
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
The Keyfit is 8 lbs 13 oz on my shipping scale.

Honestly, they ALL feel heavy once you put a baby in it and IMO that lb or two difference really doesn't matter once you have a 7-22 lb baby in the seat.

I've had A Graco Snugride, Peg Perego Primo Viaggio, Eddie Bauer/Cosco Designer 22, Chicco Keyfit, and even a Maxi Cosi Cabrio in the last few years (no where near Julies stash! ;) )

And I beleive the cabrio was the lightest of them all, but once you put a baby in it - it felt just as heavy as the rest.

I'd peronally buy the best & easiest to use seat and not worry about the weight. I guess to me I never have felt enough of a difference to warrant giving up a nice seat for one that was just ounces lighter KWIM?

Our Chicco fits in the P3 perfectly as did the Snugride, EB & peg perego seat.

I'd get the seat that fits your car best and has a 5 pt harness and a front adjuster and is the EASIEST for you to use. :)

bubbaray
08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Your Pliko "should" be able to take any Peg car seat (you could call Peg USA just to confirm that the new seats work with the old G-matic red clips). FWIW, I used to have a 2003 Pliko and I used my Graco SnugRide in it (rarely) and it worked fine.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png

Tondi G
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
I have an 01 pliko and used the car seat bar that you put in place of the regular front bar (with our Century infant seat). With our 2nd in the new P3 we just set a borrowed snugride into the seat and it was fine even without the strap they provide now!

You can probably get any infant seat you like and just place it in the seat or make up your own strap if you feel it isn't secure enough! Seems like lately everyone likes the Chicco Key Fit. If I were in the market for a new infant seat I would get the Key Fit myself!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

NHarris
08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for weighing the seat. For some reason, that made me feel much better. I know they all get heavy, but 2.5lbs multiple times a day seemed like a lot. A little over a pound difference doesn't seem so bad. Thanks also for the info that it will likely fit in my stroller.
I had been reading and investigating car seats for a couple of weeks now, but I needed to make a decision. I appreciate everyones input. I bought the Keyfit online today. Now, I don't have to think about it anymore. :)

mom2acrew
08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Chiming mostly to say congratulations I am also due soon w/ #5. I Currently have a Companion and Britax Baby Safe but really want a Key Fit :) I ended up with a Stroller Streak frame for $25 from on online sale but I have a feeling I will switch to a Kolcraft Universal. The Baby Safe will not fit on it and the Companion is so heavy. I too need to be able to get out and about as easy as possible. The Companion will set into a Pliko and I bet the Key Fit will to although I haven't tried it.

Good luck!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
08-31-2006, 10:50 AM
I would get the Chicco Keyfit (the lightest, actually)
or the Graco Safeseat (will last the longest).

with 4 other kids, I'd lean towards the Safeseat because having the carrier capabilities will come in handy with 4 other kids... not to mention having it last longer.

but the chicco keyfit is the lightest and is so well made and padded that I just love it above any other seat.

I think with either one, you can't go wrong.