PDA

View Full Version : Car seat for taller baby

SamsAngel
08-31-2006, 07:25 AM
I have been reading posts for 5 days now. I am still confussed. My dd3 is in an infant seat (combi connectons) which I really love, but at almost 3 months, her shoulders are almost above the top slots. We even took out the infant padding. We are looking at getting a convertable. The thing is, I like the Britax, but don't know which one to buy. I want one that is comfy and will last for a long baby. If I am going to spend this kind of money, I want it to last awhile. I can't afford to replace it in a year. Also, I need a seat cover that will be comfy, but wont make baby sweat (she sweats easily).
Looking at all the seats, The discriptions don't usually tell the height limits or the height of the top strap.

Please help

Stephanie

o_mom
08-31-2006, 07:50 AM
First of all, for a rear-facing seat, the straps should be at or below her shoulders. So, her shoulders being above the top slots is not a concern. In fact, if her shoulder are not at the top slots yet, you need to move them down.

What you need to look for is where the top of her head is. As long as there is at least an inch of hard plastic shell abover her head and she is below the weight limit she can stay in that seat.

For the convertibles, Britax makes four of them. The Roundabout is the smallest. It goes to 40 lbs and will likely last rear-facing until around 2 and forward facing to 3-3.5 years. The other three all go to 65 lbs and will last rear-facing to 33 lbs with almost no limit on height (they are very tall seats). Forward facing they will most likely last until age 4.5-6 years. Here is a comparison of the features of the larger seats:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=46400&mesg_id=46614&page=

If you want to be sure that you won't have to buy another harnessed seat, go with the larger ones. The top slots of the Roundabout are around 15.5", for the larger ones around 17.5". the Marathon is the least expensive and can be found for around $215 for clearance covers.

Joolsplus2
08-31-2006, 08:10 AM
The slots are supposed to be below the shoulders when rearfacing, so you're good :). The back on that seat is remarkably tall, I'd expect you to get a few months more out of it, at least up to the listed height of 29 inches.
Picasa is down right now, but I'll try to post a picture of my dd (7 months, 18 pounds, about 27.5 inches, and a couple inches till her head is at the top of the seat) in her Connection as soon as I can.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
08-31-2006, 10:58 AM
I'd get the Boulevard (I'd get it in Shannon, which should be out soon)

it's going to be the easiest to use... all 3 will last you longer than any other convertible on the market (except the new fisher price safe voyage deluxe, but that's made by Britax, too)

SamsAngel
08-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Thank you. It has been 6 years since my last baby. It really just sliped my mind that the harness should be below the shoulders in a RF seat. I thought she was just long and I bought the wrong seat.

Thank you