PDA

View Full Version : Can i get by with a MA?

nyc_mom
09-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi all,

Need to purhase two car seats now that I'm in the 'burbs. Have a 2 month old (who hates her infant car seat, screams the enitre time she's in it, who I hope will like a regular car seat better) and a 22 month old. The 22 month old is probably around 31-32 lbs. and at least 36 in. tall (we haven't been to the Dr. in a while) and the 2 month old is 12 lbs and 24 in ches long. So, in general, both big kids. I was going to get the DC because of the adjustable crotch strap but getting the sale price on the Odyssey fabric is nearly impossible (I've been waiting to get it from Albee's). Would I be able to get by with an MA or should I spend the extra money since my girls are so big? I am not considering the BV since I don't need TSIP. Thanks for the advice!

nyc_mom

mommyto4
09-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I think that the Marathon would be fine. Most kids don't have a problem with the crotch strap and the ones that do are usually boys.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
I would most definitely get the Marathon.

There have been problems with the Decathalon adjuster and the Marathon is such a great seat.

I have one and my 2&1/2yr old is the same size as your toddler... and she fits in it so well, with plenty of crotch room.

you can find them cheap on some sites as the zebra has been discontinued, but there are also the new Brooke pattern on target.com that is pink... and the great ashley floral, so lots of girl-friendly patterns.

Kat

kphil
09-01-2006, 05:09 PM
I would get the Marathon too, mostly because I had so much problems with the DC adjuster when I tried it--I really wanted a DC, too. But, if you do want the DC, Bestbuybaby.com has the Odyssey fabric on sale.

HTH,
Kirsten

tjham
09-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Uh oh, what's wrong with the DC adjuster? I just kind of recommended one to a mom whose 18 month could undo the adjuster on the MA.

Joolsplus2
09-01-2006, 06:23 PM
It tends to be really sticky... ask O-mom, she posted a video the other day... on the other hand, if you have a houdini baby, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do (many of us at least find the DC does loosen up after a time, fortunately)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

katiesmommy
09-01-2006, 09:33 PM
A lot of people have hade problems with the adjuster sticking or completely not moving when there is any resistance at all. I'm thinking that it must have something to do with the batch, I go a tiffany decathalon as soon as they were available (pre-ordered) and have had no problems what-so-ever with my adjuster. Not even the slightest bit of sticking when I first got it, I've loved it. I really got it because I loved the tiffany fabric and because my daughter needed the infant padding, (10 lbs. at 6 months). If you don't need the padding, and you like the marathon fabrics better, you might as well save yourself a little money and get the marathon.

nyc_mom
09-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the great advice! So I'm guessing by all your suggestions that my 2 month old will fit fine in the MA despite the lack of extra infant inserts?

nyc_mom

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Definitely... I wouldn't have a problem with it at all... though with a 2mo old you might just want a rolled recieving blanket or 2 for the head, but as you can use the tether to get a perfect 45 degree recline, it probably isn't necessary.

Kat