PDA

View Full Version : What's the highest weight limit Convertible seat?

crayonblue
09-01-2006, 10:25 PM
A friend recently told me that her convertible car seat goes up to 100 lbs. Is this possible? I've never seen a 5 point harness convertible seat that goes that high but maybe I missed it.

momtoB
09-02-2006, 04:11 AM
The highest weight "convertible" car seat is currently the Britax 65lb limit seats ie the marathon, Blvd, Decathlon, and the Sunshine Kids Radian also harnesses to 65lbs. SK is introducing the Radian80 this mos which is a convertible that will harness to 80lbs (but has the same height harness slots as the original 65lb limit Radian so will prbly be outgrown by height before weight by most kids anyway.).

FYI: a "convertible" is a seat that rear faces to 30-35lbs & then can be turned around to forward facing. A "combination" seat is a f/fing only seat that harnesses usually to 40lbs and then converts to a belt positioning booster (bpb) up to 80 or 100lbs.

There are a few "convertible" seats out there that are "3-in-1" that are convertible (r/fing to f/fing) seats that also later convert to a bpb after 40lbs ie the Cosco Alpha-Omega and the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1, and the Safety 1st Intera. Maybe this is what your friend has and is just getting the terminology confused a little bit (which is easy to understand!) Her seat probably only can harness to 40lbs but will convert to a belt-positioning booster after that. She definitely needs to stop using the harness once the shoulders are past the top useable slots for harnessing or her child has reached the maximum harness weight limit of 40lbs.

If she's looking for a seat that harnesses past 40, then the Britax Regent is a forward facing only youth seat that harnesses to 80lbs. This and the new Radian80 (to be introduced this month) have the highest weight limit of all car seats. After that you have to start looking at travel vests ie the RideSafer vest (or is it SafeRider? I need to go to bed, lol).

I hope this all makes sense!

Joolsplus2
09-02-2006, 06:52 AM
The box is labeled up to 100 pounds, and she probably didn't take the time to decipher the finer points of when the harness is outgrown (40 pounds or when the shoulders are above the top useable slots, usually 36-40 inches tall).
You didn't miss anything good :P
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lisajay
09-03-2006, 12:37 AM
I had a coworker tell me that her carseat was good up to 100 lbs with the harness. He was well above the 40lb limit and she was still using the harness. She refused to believe me when I tried to explain it to her. I begged her to take her seat in to the police station or some other carseat check point. I can only hope she did. It just makes me cringe to think how many other Mom's are making the same mistake. It's all fine and good as long as they don't get in a car accident.

Try to explain the benefits of RF to some people...Another coworker had her twin boys forward facing as soon as they were 20 lbs. They were chunks too, they weren't even 8mo old. What get's me is her pediatrician told her that it was 20 lbs OR 1 yr? Can you believe it?! He should be better informed in his line of work.
LJ