PDA

View Full Version : Marathon and Regent in 2001 Honda CRV?

lisajay
09-03-2006, 12:22 AM
I have a 2 yr old in a FF Marathon driver's side and a 5 mo old in a snugride passenger side RF, in my 2001 CRV. I am thinking about moving my 2 yr old into a Regent, and moving my 5 mo old into the MA (RF) when he outgrows the snugride. My concern is can they both fit side by side? Could I put the Regent behind the driver's side and put the MA RF'ing Center position? I don't think that the MA will fit RF in either outboard positions. My knees already touch the dash with the snugride behind me. Would I be better off with another MA. I liked the idea of never having to buy another carseat or booster with the Regent. With the new standards for the size a child must be to be out of a booster...I figured this seat would be best. I don't like traditional boosters either. I prefer the 5 point harness.

Any Suggestions?
TIA,
LJ

Joolsplus2
09-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Nope, not side by side :(. It'll fit great, but turn your 5 seater car into a four seater. It would also expire long, long before your baby outgrows it, so it's not really the best bang for your buck for such young kiddos.
I'd look closer at the Sunshine Kids Radian (very narrow, but has slightly taller harness slots and is a bit narrower than the Marathon) or Graco Platinum or Ultra Cargo...whichever fits better (if you can't find a Radian locally, order it from Target so you can make an in-store return, is what some people do).
The Marathon should fit fine, maybe even better, than your snugride...in the link in my siggy the bottom picture is my dd in one in our 1999 CR-V behind the driver's seat...DH and I are only 5'7 and 5'9, so we fit comfortably in front of it.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lisajay
09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the info on the Radian. I decided against it based on the fact that some parents of chunky kids said there child didn't fit it. Both my kids are in the 90th% for weight so it probably wouln't be a great idea. Already the way I have my kids seats my car is a 4 seater. So it really wouldn't change much. I have the option of borrowing my parents van when I want more people to ride, I was just thinking of the possibility of sometimes having another person join us. It would be more convenient, for spur of the moment trips. Would there be room for another passenger is there were 2 marathons side by side?
As far as expiring before my baby outgrows it...hhmm. I hadn't thought of that really. I'm waiting as long as possible to buy it for that reason, so that it would last for my 2 yr old. The marathon I have now is a newer seat, we were in an accident with our old marathon. The new seat was purchased in December, I can't recall when it was manufactured, but not long before that.
I guess the Regent would be a good idea anyway. Other than for space issues. That way if either kid gets to big for the Marathon we will be able to use the Regent anyway, at least until it expires. Are tne straps much higher on the Regent? My 2yr old dd is in the 75% for height and 90th% for weight, and my ds is 50% for height and 90% for weight. The Regent is less money than the Marathon, too.
I'm absolutely in love with Britax seats, I don't think I would ever want to buy another seat. Partially because they are so nice to use, and partially because my dd practically slept through the accident and didn't have so much as a scratch. She opened her eyes for a split second and then went right back to sleep.
Hhmm...Well you've given me some things to consider. I'm just at the researching part now. I probably won't have to buy another seat until Oct, maybe later than that if my ds isn't as tall as his sister. She outgrew hers in length before height.
Thanks Again for your help. You always have been so helpfull :)
LJ