PDA

View Full Version : Am I nuts??? Buying a new back up seat? (RF question)

vickimaggie
09-04-2006, 01:32 PM
My 23 month old is RF in Boulevards in my car and in DH's car. My mom watches her 2 days a week and she has a Roundabout at her house for the very rare (maybe once a month) occassion she has to take her someplace. She still fits rear facing but I'm afraid her head is going to reach the top of the seat soon and she'll out grow it heightwise RF. Its been about a month since she's used the RA so I'm going to have my mom check her in it tomorrow to see where her head is. She only weights about 27-28lbs (I'll find out for sure next month at her checkup).

Here's my dilema, the thought of her riding forward facing makes my stomach turn:( I know that probably sounds a bit dramatic but I'm a safety freak and just hate the thought of turning her before I absolutely have to. If she indeed outgrows the RA RF by height soon would it be ridiculous of me to buy her a MA for my Mom's car??? She literally rides with my Mom no more than once a month. I know she only has 5 or so more lbs to go RFing anyway. And I could save the RA for baby #2 (who has yet to be concieved.) It could take her another year to get over 33lbs, right?

I'm hoping she still fits RF in the RA and I can keep her that way until I can verify her weight at the Dr.'s to see how much longer I think a new seat would keep her RFing.

Sigh. Any thoughts? Should I just stop being such a worry wart and let her ride FF once a month? Sorry to be so long and rambly. Why can't they make seats that RF to say.....50lbs LOL!

Joolsplus2
09-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Nuts? No way!!!! I LOVE you! :D
See if the Cosco Scenera has enough more growing room than the RA to make it worth the $40, or the Safety 1st Intera, or even the Alpha Omega. Not that I'm trying to push a Cosco on you, but they do have the 35 pound RF limit and tallish backs in general. If you have a little more $$$ to spare and can afford to order a Sunshine Kids Radian from Target (so you can return it to Target easily if it doesn't fit), it's very Britax-esque, and has taller top slots than the Marathon.
If you are most comfortable with a Marathon, go for it. My dd didn't hit 33 pounds till she was 4.5, and I wish I'd had the conviction to keep her RF in every car, for every ride (I will with my third kid, FF before the limits of the biggest seat I can find will simply never be an option, any more than playing with the bleach or matches swimming alone in a pool ever would...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
09-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Since its so infrequent, can you just install your BV in her car? Or trade cars for the day? I can install two seats in Granny's car in about 10 minutes. Sometimes we just swap cars though.

You could also buy a Scenera 5 point for $50. It has a taller seatback than the RA. Its also just a very handy seat. Super light if you ever travel by air. Well worth having and it would buy you some more time.

I don't think I'd personally buy an MA for that situation. Your yet to be conceived baby could use it, but it'll have a lot of usable life lopped off. But, if you are ok with it, then go for it!

What is the RF rule on the RA? Is it when the head is even?

vickimaggie
09-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the replies! I feel a lot less crazy now;)

Unfortunately installing a BLVD in her car isn't really an option because she actually doesn't drive so when they do go someplace its someone else giving her a ride, so I don't have access to the car ahead of time and I want to be able to leave something at her house all the time in case of emergencies. That's the other reason I hadn't considered the Radian, isn't that the one that doesn't fit well in some cars? I need something that will easily install in my Dad's car, sisters car, aunts car or her neighbors car depending on who is driving them. What is the RFing wight limit of the Radian? Is it 33 or 35lbs?

I thought about the Scenera but if I buy that I'll just have to buy her another seat once she outgrows that so I can keep her harnessed past 40lbs, so if I buy a Scenera I'll probably end up with a Marathon later anyway, KWIM? Although having her RFing until 35lbs is very appealing to the safety freak in me. Hmmmmm and I guess I could buy a Scenera now, then a Regent when she outgrows the Scenra, that will keep her harnessed for a good long time which is my other concern. My main reason for considering the Marathon is that it is very user friendly and installs well with the RF tether. Since the seat gets installed/uninstalled everytime she uses it I want to make sure its easy, secure and user friendly. I'm fortunate that my Mom is good about making sure the seat is in rock solid and she knows how to use it properly.

HHMMMMMM so should I get a Scenera now and later a Regent (or whatever the best high weight limit harnessed booster at the time is), or just go for the Marathon now? The Scenera/Regent combo will cost more but will also last longer and keep her harnessed for a long time. Do kids generally make it to 40lbs in the Scenera or do they outgrow it by height first? She's a pretty average sized kid. Problem is once she outgrows the Scenera I won't need it for #2 because I'll already have the RA for #2.

Oh decisions decisions!! LOL Thoughts?

Sorry this has gotten so long LOL!

Vicki

kellyotn
09-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I'd do the Scenera/Regent combo since you are wanting to harness for a long time anyways. My DD is about 35-45 points higher on the height percentile than the weight percentile. She outgrew it by height at 3.5 years. She was also around 38 lbs, so weight would have followed closely. She outgrew a different 40 lb seat by height at age three, 33 lbs or so.

Even if you have the RA for #2, when will it expire? Also, that baby is also likely to outgrow it RF before you are ready for FF. Scenera to the rescue again. :) For $50, its not like its a big waste if it doesn't last for a long time. I've heard that it also installs pretty easily in many vehicles. It doesn't have the RF tether though. But, its really a great seat. Just remember that its ok that it will have movement at the top of the seat because it doesn't tether RF. Just check the beltpath. ;)

vickimaggie
09-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks so much for the help ladies!!! When I checked DD in the RA the other day she had a little less than an inch of shell left above her head so I decided it was definitely worth it to buy a bigger seat to keep her RFing. I went and looked at the Scenera and the FP Safe Voyage Deluxe today and decided to go with the Safe Voyage. The Scenera definitely gave her more room and really seems to be a great seat for the money, but I was afraid she may outgrow that RFing by height before weight at some point because she's got a long torso and a big head so I went with the FP since it is much taller and will last her longer even after I have to turn her FFing. I figured it was a good compromise between the Scenera and the MA.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the Safe Voyage. I was afraid I wouldn't love it because I'm a spoiled Britax girl (even though I know Britax makes it) but I got it installed rock solid in my car in less than 2 minutes. I was afraid not having a tether would irk me but it doesn't. It sits much more upright than my BLVD that is tethered but that's no biggie with a 2 year old. I'd definitely need some pool noodles if I were using it with an infant but if I ever use it with a baby it won't be for several years. I should actually go work on getting the BLVD a little more upright.

I did moan and groan while I was rethreading the top straps though, that BLVD harness adjuster REALLY has me spoiled LOL!

Thanks again for all your help and for assuring me I'm not a crazy lunatic RFing freak ;) You guys are the best!

Vicki