PDA

View Full Version : Rigid LATCH, Graco SafeSeat (separate topics)

floobear
09-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks again for all your answers. And Julie, you are truly a fountain of knowledge on car seats and more!

Sure wish there were more rigid LATCH seats out there. None of that Julie mentioned (Baby Trend Latch-Loc 22, Britax Expressway ISOFIX, Jane Indy Plus Booster) are terribly suitable for RFing my skinny 3 yo (30#, 37") and meaty 6mo (20#, 27"). Maybe I'll just get a Britax BV, install it once and leave it there since I'm not crazy about repeatedly stressing out the recline adjuster with knee-in installation.

Lastly, anyone who has a Graco SafeSeat (Step2): please tell me your gripes about this seat -- especially if you also have a Britax BV or WZ since I may be "spoiled" by Britax features I've gotten used to. I have read Graco's nice advertisements. I would go to BRU to check it out myself, but I simply cannot leave the house by car until I get 2 carseats.

o_mom
09-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I haven't used it, but looked it over in BRU.

It is a forward facing only seat and right now only goes to 40 lbs. There are rumors that it will be upped to 50 lbs soon, but nothing firm. The top slots are as tall as a Marathon or Cargo. The side wings are very deep and lined w/eps. It really seems to be pricy for a FF only seat that doesn't convert to a booster.

For the BV an WZ, you don't need to use your knee to install. Just get in front of the seat an push it down and back with your hips. There are install videos around here somewhere that show this technique. It shouldn't stress the recline adjuster much at all.

Joolsplus2
09-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I love the SS2, if you can find it for 119$...it costs more than a Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo or Evenflo Generations or Bolero, and it doesn't become a booster, but it is super nice, if you are ready for a FF seat that's probably going to be good harnessed till age 5 or so (given your kids' ages and weights now).
Tough decision you have!

(maybe just a Scenera for the baby and see what else comes out in the next couple years?)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MamaParis
09-09-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't have the safeseat2 but I went to check it out because I have a Maxi Cosi Priori that I absolutely LOVE which is very similar in looks & funsction etc that will be expiring next year and I really love that seat and want a similar replacement for it.

All in all its a nice seat. The harnes heights were nice and tall that my 3.5 year old (26 lbs and 45"+ - all legs!) fit in it just fine with room to grow.

BUT ... I went with the intentions of comparing it to my Priori and while its a nice seat - MUCH nicer than most Graco seats - it didn't really compare to my Priori - so I left a bit disappointed in the end. I just found the Prioris adjuster to be a lot smoother and easier to pull - I found the Priori slightly easier to install - I find the priori's recline mechanism to me A LOT smoother (the graco sorta had to be pulled prety hard and click into place it seemed and the Priori is VERY smooth)

The padding on the one I saw was really nice!! It had the gracopedic foam as well as a ton of extra padding - looked well padded. And I like how deep the sides are - looks like good SIP to me.

Its a VERY nice seat IMO - but I think that I'll probably be replacing my Priori (which is in DHs truck) with either the Recaro Young Sport or another bigger Britax or maybe I'll have to illegally import a new Prori to use ... But I don't think I'll be doing that (way too costly! lol)

I just find the Britax seats easier to install and you get more veratility out of it (rf or FF) - the Graco is only FF. 65 lbs vs 40 lbs (currently )