PDA

View Full Version : Which is BETTER: Keyfit or Safeseat?

babystuffbuff
09-08-2006, 12:07 PM
My cousin has both of these seats on her baby registry. I asked her why, and she said she just couldn't pick one, LOL. Then she asked me which one was better. I didn't know what to tell her, since I like both of those seats (and actually recommended that she look at them). Anyone have an opinion???

Sarah

Auntie to my seven munchkins, and thinking about TTC a munchkin of our own :)

o_mom
09-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Does she seem like the type to keep the baby rear-facing as long as possible?

If yes, then the KeyFit is a great seat, but she will need a convertible after that and could rear-face a long time. In that case it is a toss up. I will probably get a SafeSeat for the next baby because even now I find myself wanting to move a sleeping DS2 into the house.

If not, then the SafeSeat will last until about 18-24 mos and will probably get her to keep the baby rear-facing longer because she won't have to buy a new seat.

Kind of a sneaky way to encourage longer rear-facing. I tend to recommend it to people who I know will turn the convertible at exactly 12 mos. I also tell them to get a Scenara because it can't be FF until 22 lbs ;-).

babystuffbuff
09-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Oh, she'll listen to me about extended RF (unlike other family members I could name *sigh*). I don't think that part will be a concern. :)

Sarah

Auntie to my seven munchkins, and thinking about TTC a munchkin of our own :)

o_mom
09-08-2006, 12:37 PM
In that case, do you have any idea of how big the baby will be? Is she or her DH a tall or large person? Does she or her DH have any nieces or nephews that are ginormous? If they come from a family of giants, then the SafeSeat would be a bit of insurance that the baby wouldn't outgrow the seat too early. OTOH, if they tend to have very small babies or she ends up with a preemie (how far along is she?) the KeyFit fits very small babies well.

If no one springs for one off the registry, they could always decide, but don't take the tags off (just install the base) in case there is some overwhelming reason to get one or the other. Other than that, pick the colors that match her car best, LOL.

MamaParis
09-08-2006, 01:04 PM
IMO the Keyfit is a nicer seat. Better infant padding - more overall padding all around for the kisd comfort. The base is the EASIEST ever to install - the adjuster is sooo smooth and easy to use.
And the chest clip is nice and small so it doens't take up the entire body of the infant in the seat! Graco chest clips are just so huge!

She'll have to eventually switch to the RF convertible seat anyway - and the Chicco will probably get her pretty close to a year if she doesn't have an overly tall child. My 6 month old has tons of growing room left in it and she's about 12 lbs but she's starting to get some length on her and she's now 28" as per her recent check up. She's only on the second slots with lots of room above her head too.

I'd go for the keyfit - just a nicer seat overall IMO .. although the safeseat IS a very nice seat as well! :) I just find the Chicco tops the Graco in most areas ...