PDA

View Full Version : Which extended cab pickups can fit a rear facing Britax???

vickimaggie
09-08-2006, 05:31 PM
DH keeps tossing around the idea of getting rid of his Expedition and getting a pickup truck, either an extended cab or a 4 door. If he does get one it has to be able to accomodate a Rear-facing Boulevard. He'll only buy American (Ford, Dodge, GMC, Chevy, etc). Does anyone one have any first hand experiance with large rfing britax's and American pickup trucks? Which ones they definitely do or don't fit in? Any shopping advise? Before he buys anything I'd definitely install her seat to make sure it fits but I figure if anyone here has any info it would help us narrow it down. Thanks.

Vicki

Joolsplus2
09-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Go with 4 door... then you at least have a regular car-sized backseat, basically, and it should fit.
www.carseatdata.org may have entries for larger trucks he's considering, and www.suvsafety.info may have info/links about safety features to demand (headrests, lap/shoulderbelts, stability control, airbags, etc).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MamaParis
09-08-2006, 07:34 PM
We have a 2003 Dodge crew cab (1500 Ram ... yeah .. its got a Hemi! lol)

All of our larger Britax seats fit perfect in any position RF or FF ... doesn't matter. I DO have fairly long legs and I had to keep my seat almost all the way forward with them installed RF for the babies when they were 6 months and under. Once they were older I could install them more upright and give myself some more leg space.
I can also easily fit 3 seats across.

LATCH on both outboard positions and shoulder/lap belt in center.
Seatbelts lock with the lightweight locking latchplate .... which I have really grown to love! lol

We also have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab and the same thing - the bigger britax seats fit perfect in it.

LATCH is on the two outboard positions and shoulder/lap belt in center ... seatbelts lock at the shoulder part - you know the kind that you pull all the way out and it locks on its way back in ... that kind ...

One of my sisters DH drives a drew cab ford f-150 ... I'm not sure of the year of it .. but they can easily fit their Marathons RF in back. They have 2 back there and a booster seat in the middle and they have a ton of room.

ummm ... I don't know anyone with a chevy around here ... seems like everyone around here is a dodge or ford man. ;)

I suggest getting the 4 door screw cab. They're not THAT much more and it'll give you a whole bunch more room.

I can easily fit stollers on the floor in the back seat of our trucks its got a ton of space back there!

Ohhh and if you don't get diesel and you get a Dodge .. get the Hemi ... LOL
Just ahd to say that to make DH proud ... lol

Joolsplus2
09-08-2006, 09:57 PM
4 door screw cab... <giggle>

;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MamaParis
09-08-2006, 10:48 PM
LOL!

I have lost all typing skills when I began doing the one-hand BF type! lol

shburks
09-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Ha ha at the "screw cab." Had to read that twice before I decided it was a typo! :)

DH drive a 2001 Ford F-150--the four door crew cab. The Cosco Touriva stays in that vehicle, but there was no problem with it RF and none when we put the RA in there. There is gobs of room! Like the pp said, we can still put the stroller/beach bags in the floorboard. As a matter of fact when people come to visit (we live in Hawaii), we more often than not drive the truck rather than our Honda Accord because there's so much more room--especially in the back seat with the extra width and the extra leg room for everyone.

Susan

infocrazy
09-10-2006, 01:32 PM
We have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab. We have a RF RA in there but I think our Marathon would fit too.

Word of advice though, go for the 4 door. It is a HUGE PITA when in parking lots to open both side doors (since to open the back one, you have to open the passenger door), get DS out, then close 1 door at a time while juggling him and the miscellaneous stuff.

patti_b
09-10-2006, 10:37 PM
I just installed a marathon RF in DH's Chevy Silverado extended cab, the kind where you have to open the front door to open the back. I put it RF on the passenger side as DS1 is FF in the center. I had to move the front seat forward as far as it would go. That's fine for us, b/c no one ever rides in the front passenger seat, anyway. It would be uncomfortable and possibly unsafe for anyone to seat there, though.

Patti

swampnurse
09-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Yup! Today i sat in the front seat of our new Tundra Access Cab with the seat all the way up b/c my newborn daughter's Britax Companion was pushed all the way up against the back of my seat. My 2 y/o son's Wizard is FF in the middle but he needs room for his feet so he can't go behind the driver's seat either. I felt like i could lick the windshield! Apparently we will be doing all family traveling in my Explorer until both kids are FF. That'll be in about 2 years!

skipspin
09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
A Britax seat will fit FRing in center of a Chevy Ext cab.

It will fit outboard if the carseat it at a 30' angle for an older kid. The front passenger or driver seat can't be all the way back, but I am totally comfortable sitting it in since I am short and I'm NOT too close to the airbag.

My DH is currently lusting over a GMC Duramax four-door, so I may never need to put another RFing seat in our Chevy. LOL.