PDA

View Full Version : When to move into a booster?

callmeflan
09-12-2006, 09:44 AM
My 5 year old who is quite tall has started complaining about the crotch of his Marathon. I really thought this would be the last seat I would need to buy. But it seems to never really be true.

So should I buy another car seat or move to a booster? When is the right time to move to a booster? I really don't want to spend another $250. My guy sits real well in his spare Graco Turbo Booster. The placement of the seatbelt stays in the correct spot, etc.

He's about 47 inches and 45 pounds. What are your thoughts?

Joolsplus2
09-12-2006, 10:22 AM
You just have to decide personally if you are ready to give up the extra protection of the 5 pt harness just yet. Can he sit still? Have you looked at the pictures of the spinal development in the carseat 101 thread? Do you have side impact airbags for added safety in your car?
I waver...my kids are off and on in boosters and their Huskies, and they are 9 and 7...I'm just not ready to give up at least part time harness usage in my van which doesn't have stability control or side curtain airbags, personally.
But they ride reasonably well in boosters... and there are lots of boosters coming out in the next couple months, if you can wait that long, maybe get him through winter harnessed in his MA (get the modified shoulder foam, it doesn't have anything to do with the crotch, but it adds a few inches at the shoulders and makes the seat 'bigger' all around).
The Britax Monarch is almost out, and is really nice, the Parkway is an old fave, maybe the Jane' Indy Plus would work for you. You've got another 3-5 years to go in a booster, so get a nice one, IMO.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

callmeflan
09-12-2006, 10:33 AM
It's a struggle for me. Every time I buy a seat I think it's the last one I'll need and then I wind up needing another one. Maybe I need to change the way I look at it. I can probably get another 6 months out of this seat, so at least there's that.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
you should wait and see the new boosters... the new compass is taller and comes in giraffe and camouflage (very cool and the camo is SOOO boyish)

the Chicco Keyfit booster looks soooo awesome.

the Marathon would never be the last seat you need as it only goes to 65lbs or about 4' tall... kids should be in boosters or some kind of seat till at least 4'9" or when the booster is outgrown.

kransden
09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I am due to buy a booster. DD has outgrown her RA. Where can I see the new boosters and do you know when they are coming out?

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

callmeflan
09-14-2006, 04:17 PM
I meant the last harnessed seat. Of coure the Marathon wouldn't last forever. I just thought I would be able to move into the booster after the Marathon.

niccig
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Does your son have the maturity to sit up straight without leaning over to the side or without playing with the seatbelt? To be safe, the seatbelt has to hit your son correctly at the shoulder (not neck or arm) and low across the hips. A booster gives him the height for that to happen. But if he takes his arms out of the seat belt or scrunches down so the seatbelt isn't on him properly, he won't be as safe. Some kids are fine, some need a few reminders, and others need to use a 5-point harness for longer. It can also be more difficult to sleep in a booster. I know one child that wanted to go back to the convertible seat as he couldn't nap when they were in the car.

It also depends on how you feel about safety. 5 point harness is safer as the child is always strapped in properly.

I joke that DS will be strapped in until college age, but I also joke that he'll be in the crib until then too...I like my sleep and I like to know he's as safe as can be when we're in the car. But I also have a squirmy, look mum no hands, let me hang from the ceiling fan kind of child. If I had my friend's calm 4 year old, I could see booster use sooner.

Nicci

Tondi G
09-15-2006, 08:26 PM
I saw the new compass booster in Camo.... I can't remember on which website.... my 5 year old saw it and was so excited!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-15-2006, 10:06 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abckids2006/sets/72157594278780360

it's an album done by a WONDERFUL carseat tech.