PDA

View Full Version : Help w/seat lockoff in Graco Safeseat and leaning to one side!

smiles33
09-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I have read and re-read the directions for our Graco SafeSeat step 1 infant seat and am frustrated by the simplistic instructions that don't deal with my problem. Hope someone here can help!

I have a 2002 VW Passat and LATCH is only on the outboard seats. Since there are both side and head curtain airbags, I prefer she sit in the center seat. This means I use the shoulder seat belt in the center with the Safeseat's seatbelt lockoff.

However, I've noticed that the seat is slightly leaning to one side with the seatbelt lockoff, no matter how much I try to adjust it by pulling tighter. This means DD ends up leaning to the side and when she falls asleep, her head leans forward onto the plastic buckle thing (leaving an angry red imprint on her face!).

I think it's the "springiness" of the fabric seats in my Passat, as it's just not firm enough so one side sinks down (the side closest to the seat belt buckle, not the side where the shoulder belt comes out of the seat). Originally, I planned to drive DH's Honda Pilot, so I had that car inspected before DD was born. I am going to try to go in to my VW dealership this weekend to see the CPS technician but wanted some help in the meantime since I have to drive DD 3 more days for a 45 minute highway commute. No one in the car seat database has a 2002 VW Passat and Safeseat, but I'm hoping one of the CPS Techs on this board may have dealt with this issue!

TIA!

bubbaray
09-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Do you need the lockoffs if your car seatbelts have locking retractors? I would think that an '02 Passat would have that kind of seatbelt. I thought the built-in lockoffs were only for older seatbelts.

In the circumstances you describe, if I couldn't get a good center install (and what you describe does NOT sound like a good install to me!), I'd put her in one of the outboard positions with LATCH, at least until you can figure out if a good install is possible in the center position.

Good luck -- hopefully one of the techs will chime in here.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

smiles33
09-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi Bubbaray! Thanks so much for the reply. I think the Passat does have locking retractors (at least what I think are locking retractors). When I had the Honda inspected, the tech pulled down on the entire shoulder belt from the center seat until it locked and then gradually let it coil back up so that it was completely tight and practically unmoveable. I did that, too, in my Passat. But even with the locking retractors, we still had the seatbelt "looped" through the seatbelt lockoff part of the Safeseat base. I just double-checked and the instructions say you should ALWAYS use the lockoff. I realize that they need to keep the instructions as simple as possible, but I didn't find them useful in figuring out whether I installed this correctly.

And you're right, I should just move the seat to the outboard position until I get it checked as the LATCH makes it really easy to install. I will go do that now.

Thanks again!

bubbaray
09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Check out this recent thread for a discussion of the need (or lack thereaof) to use lockoffs if the seatbelt has locking retractors:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=13&topic_id=48083&mode=full&page=

Maybe give it a try without using the lockoffs and see if that helps. I can tell you that we were unable to get a good center install RFg or FFg with any car seat (Graco SnugRide, Graco ComfortSport or Britax Marathon) in my DH's Pathfinder. The seats are just too "squishy" (technical term, LOL!). Outboard, all of those seats are really secure. Sometimes a center install just isn't feasible.

I think, but am not sure, that curtain airbags are fine beside a car seat.

Good luck!

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

o_mom
09-13-2006, 06:50 AM
I was rarely able to get a good center install when we had a 2001.5 Passat. The shape of the seat just makes it hard.

Just to clarify, there are only side curtain airbags in the back (they come down from the top. The side airbags are in the front seats and deploy toward the front. There is no problem putting a child seat outboard with respect to the airbags in that car.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-13-2006, 10:59 AM
if you use the lockoff, DON'T lock the seatbelt.

make sure you really put your weight into the base when you pull the belt tight... then pull the shoulderbelt to the side... keeping it tight... and clamp down the lockoff.

after you put the seat on top (so the seatbelt won't get in the way of it), you could then lock it, also, but don't lock the seatbelt and then use the lockoff, because that is what is causing the tipping.

Kat

Joolsplus2
09-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Exactly. The lockoff is what you should use, and DON'T pull the shoulderbelt all the way out. That will make it tippier. The outboard seat with LATCH is VERY safe with the airbags (curtain airbags make kids safer in the back, they are only dangerous in the front, they are a completely different kind of animal).
I am not completely familiar with the SS1 base, but if it has a plastic 'foot' that pops out to make it more reclined, then leave it all the way in the base, don't pop it out, and use a rolled up bathtowel in it's place...that's usually the trick that gets snugrides stable and might help (no promises in a Passat, I'm sure o-mom knows more than me about that!).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

smiles33
09-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to reinstall w/o activating the seatbelt locking retractors, as I prefer her in the center seat because of sun in her face if she is in the outboard position.

I'll still try to get down to the VW dealership this weekend to get their CPS tech to look it over. I had her look at our Honda and assuming she knows VWs pretty well, maybe she will have some tricks, too.