PDA

View Full Version : How many carseats should we have?

elephantmeg
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
My DS is rapidly outgrowing his infant seat (graco snugride), we are a 3 vehicle family, we each have a primary vehicle and then we have a nice one that we use once a week or so and for all longer trips (FWIW 2 Isuzu troopers and a Dodge Caravan). He's only in the minivan 2-3 times a week when DH picks him up from the babysitter. Right now we have the snugride and 2 bases (1 in each Trooper) and DH just belts the seat into the minivan when he picks him up. I just picked up a cosco scenera on sale at walmart today, my parents are going to buy us one (it was their shower present), should we get another and have 3? His parents were also going to get a base (they live next door and we carpool pretty often) and I talked them out of it and told them just to get a convertible carseat since he wouldn't be in the infant much longer. FWIW he's almost 7 months, at 6 months he was 16 lb 10 oz and 28 inches so 90% for height. Just in case someone think I need a different seat :)
TIA!!!!!!!!

Joolsplus2
09-14-2006, 06:42 AM
If you're happy enough with the Scenera, sure, get another one or two. He might be a bit more comfortable for longer trips in something with more padding (not that the S is terrible, but padding is good, lol)....maybe look at a Britax Marathon or Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (cost more, but will last a couple years longer before he gets too tall or heavy for it vs. the S, so it's worth the money).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

elephantmeg
09-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm having a heck of a time installing the scenera. The new trooper has latch but it's way back in the cargo area and I can't get the latch strap to reach that far. I finally got it secure behind the driver seat in the trooper but had no luck with it in the middle seat. Argh!

o_mom
09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm confused? Are you talking about the top tether? That should only be used forward-facing. There is a little loop somewhere on the back of the Scenara to hook it on to store it rear-facing (look in your manual).

The lower anchors should be in the seat crack. That is what you want to use to install the seat, in place of the seatbelt.

Hope this helps!

ETA: Here is a page of installation videos. About halfway down is a "Rear-facing with LATCH" video. The seat is the Touriva, which is the same as the Scenara (for this purpose, anyway).

http://www.carseatsite.com/videos.htm#rear-facing%20with%20LATCH

elephantmeg
09-14-2006, 02:13 PM
nice! Evidently the 2002 trooper doesn't have LATCH the manual talked about at child restraint anchor bracket (the one in the cargo area) but there is no latch in the seat at all... off to study the belt videos to figure out how to get a better fit with belt...

Joolsplus2
09-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh yikes... I bet your car was made the day before the final LATCH requirement, but the manual was published the next week or something, and they didn't put your LATCH in. Yeah, disregard completely the LATCH or top tether instructions and just follow the seatbelt installation instructions for rearfacing.

elephantmeg
09-14-2006, 03:40 PM
are there any videos for middle seat installation?

Joolsplus2
09-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Is it just a lapbelt? If so, it's a lot easier than lap/shoulder. The recline and pressure points will be the same, but the belt is already locking automatically at the locking latchplate, so there's no fussing with locking clips or pulling the shoulderbelt out or whatnot. Just route the lapbelt through the rearfacing slots under the cover, buckle, and tighten down as you push the seat down into the vehicle seat, push it more or less upright as desired. You'll probably want a rolled towel to make it recline properly and to stay really stable, but it may not be necessary.

elephantmeg
09-14-2006, 08:27 PM
I couldn't get it tight, it wiggled a lot side to side but maybe the rolled towel will help. I'll try again tomorrow if I don't get called into work early... Thanks so much for everyone's help and keep the good tips rolling, I appreciate them! Oh, and one more question, how do you find people to check your install? I tried seatchecks.org but the closest place they list is at least 40 min away. Do you just call police stations/FD's?

Joolsplus2
09-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Well...where is it wiggling? At the belt path, or at the top of the seat? The only place you want to check for movement is where the seatbelt goes through it (less than one inch of movement where the seatbelt is, basically if your seatbelt is twangy like a guitar string, you're fine), the top of the seat will wiggle all over the place freely (feels weird, but is still safe...if you can't stand it, you need to buy a Britax or Radian to top tether it rearfacing, no other brands can be top tethered rearfacing).

Contact the people that are 40 minutes away, they might know if there's someone closer. You can try the PD or FD, but there's no guarantee they have actual CPS Techs on hand (sometimes the Firefighter will be a 'helpful dad of 4' who actually knows only enough to be dangerous...gotta watch out for that situation)

elephantmeg
09-15-2006, 09:19 AM
it's wiggling at the belt path, slides back and forth

Joolsplus2
09-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Then either you need to get intimate with that seat (climb on it, show it who's boss while you crank down the seatbelt tighter), or the locking latchplate is tipped and it's loosening (www.cpsafety.com has a 'locking in a car seat' section that describes the different kinds of belts and how to keep them tight...see if that helps and ask back).

:)

elephantmeg
09-16-2006, 10:10 AM
got it :) It took DH and I together to get it tight enough. Thanks SOO much for all your help!

ppshah
09-16-2006, 11:57 AM
If cost is not too much of an issue, I would probably get a marathon or boulevard for the vehicle DS is in most of the time. Especially, since you have a big kiddothe marathon will last you longer. We are a 3 carseat family too. One for each parent and one for the babysitter. The babysitter uses the touriva (old scenera) once a week. DH has a roundabout. DS is mostly in my car and where we have a marathon. The touriva/scenera is okay, but it's not a britax. I think the scenera is great for the other 2 vehicles/grandparents vehicle.

elephantmeg
09-16-2006, 07:34 PM
I keep thinking about that too... I'll have to look into that. We've used the scenera a 2 days now and it's OK but I wonder if it's the right choice for my car/long trips.