PDA

View Full Version : Car seat HELP!

chays
09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Hello,

I have read everything on this board and am STILL at a loss as to what to do for my new car seat.

For background, I have 2 kids: 7 month old DD (16ish lbs, 26 1/2ish") and DS who just turned 3 (35 lbs, 36 3/4"). We have a BMW 3 series convertible that DH drives and my Volvo XC70 station wagon.
We currently have 1 Marathon in DH's car and a Marathon & Snugride in my car. I just moved both kids to the top harness slot in their respective seats last week.

I need a new seat since DD will outgrow the snugride soon and I just don't know the best option!

1) 2 marathons in my car and new seat fot DS in DH's car -- maybe Radian (I like that the seat folds up), Cargo (I am worried about 40# limit) or Recaro (again worried about 40# limit)?? Anything deeper than the Marathon really won't work since the BMW is so small in the back. As it is, I sit *really* close to the airbag when DS is in his seat with DH driving. I did put a regent in the car and it (suprisingly) fit, but stuck out about an inch farther to the front.

2) Leave marathon in DHs car, give baby marathon in my car and get a regent for DS. Still a HUGE seat...not sure if there is a better option since I really don't need rear-facing. 65# would probably be fine and the Volvo has great headrests...but is the Apex 65 even in the same league?

Cost isn't THAT much of an issue -- safety and comfort are since we take my car 100% of the time with 2 kids. DH takes DS in the BMW on weekends frequently, but it is mostly for short trips.

Can SOMEONE help me PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Cheryl

o_mom
09-14-2006, 01:08 PM
If you were to get a Cargo or Recaro, you could swap the seats once DS hits 40 lbs. Put DD in the lower wt limit seat and DS back in the MA. The only problem would be if DD still needed to be rear-facing when DS got to 40 lbs. The Cargo at Target with the Gracopedic foam is really nice and comfy and only $100 ($80 on sale). That wouldn't be a huge investment if he outgrew it in a year and you could either sell it or keep it for DD to use once she is forward-facing. You could see at that time if DS needed a higher weight harness or if he was ready for a booster. At his height, your only option for harnessing at that point may be a Regent anyway.

A Regent for your car would mean you were set for a long time, but wouldn't do much for the room in the BMW.

The Apex might work, but I would try it first in the car you want to use it in. It is not the same as Britax, so I would vote for putting it in the BMW if possible instead of the car you use everyday. If you can't move the headrests or they push the seat forward if may not work well.

HTH!

Papooses
09-16-2006, 02:29 PM
We had both the Recaro Young Sport & the Britax Husky/Regent....

To save $ long term I'd a RYSport + Scenera -- I'd probably keep the RYSport + RF MA in the primary vehicle & FF MA + RF Scenera in the less used vehicle, switching RYSport out of primary vehicle when harness is outgrown.

But, for safest long term choice (& possibly easiest on kids & my sanity, LOL) I'd get 2 Regents -- lil sis could keep the MAs to herself & big bro the Regents.

The RYSport is amazingly comfortable & the recline option allowed for a bit more height growth in the harness than in the MA, but the Regent is also extremely comfortable!

They're both rather wide, the Regent being wider of course, but so I don't know that anyone would fit between either of these seats + a MA =/