PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Young Sport Lockoff question - advice needed!

Swirvin
09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Being in Europe we don't have the selection of harnessed car seats for taller children. I thought I had found the perfect solution for my 4yo 42in 36lb dd with the Recaro Young Sport. The top harness slots are incredibly high and when I saw that the seat came with lockoffs I thought this would work great with my non-locking seatbelts. The issue is that the "lockoffs" are completely smooth plastic so they act more like a belt positioner instead of a true lockoff. The bottom of the seat has a very solid install with very little if any wiggle but the top of the seat easily slides back and forth. How important is the movement of the top of the seat? Is there anything I can do to the seatbelt or lockoff to keep the seatbelt from sliding through it? I should mention that the European version of the YS does not have a top tether. The lockoff on our Blvd (bought in the US for ds) seems to have "teeth" on them to keep the belt from sliding through. We have a blvd for Dd also in dh's car but I fear dd is getting too tall for it. I hate to move her to a booster. Even though she meets the age guideline she still has a way to go before she hits 40lbs (especially with the way she eats lol). I know I can use the YS as a plain booster (thus avoiding the lockoff issue) but again I would like to keep her harnessed as long as possible.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Jennifer

Joolsplus2
09-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Is there any way you can post a picture of your lockoff and the seat (is it the same as the US YS? Where *are* the lockoffs, anyway?).
I'm going to take a leap and say that if the seat is staying solidly in place at the belt path, then the lockoff is doing what it's supposed to do... but if it's loosening easily, then it may not be working right/compatible.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Swirvin
09-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't know if this will work but here are a few photos I took of the lockoff. http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=utkblfr.5nixyvxv&x=0&y=-18b4ou

The last two photos show how much the top portion moves when I pull on the seat. I am able to move it this much with one hand and with very little effort.

Thank you Jools for your help.

Jennifer

Swirvin
09-25-2006, 06:07 AM
Just bumping up to see if anyone could help with this.

Thank you,
Jennifer

Joolsplus2
09-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Ugh, I couldn't get anyone I know to give me the easy answer on this... Can you contact anyone at Recaro and ask if this is a problem that can be fixed or repaired or if the seat is supposed to be all wobbly? I know you have a Britax, but do you have a locking clip you could use instead of the built in lockoff? Is the seat more wobbly at the top just because there's no top tether?
I'm stumped!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-25-2006, 09:27 AM
I honestly don't know... but with you being able to tip it so much, I worry about just how tight that seat is getting.

I might choose to use a regular locking clip instead of that, but I'd call Recaro first... see what they say.