PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bargains 6.1 version - car seats & Britax

nwmm
09-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I have the Baby Bargains 6.0 version and am looking to buy a Briax convertible. Is there updated information in the 6.1 version as it relates to Britax? I don't mind the cost, but did not want to waste the time to print all the pages if it was not necessary.

Thank you.

kellyotn
09-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I don't have info specific to Baby Bargains 6.1, but LOTS of people here (AWESOME car seat techs and other knowledgeable folks) can help you with Britax. ;) What questions do you have? I'm sure someone has an answer!

Joolsplus2
09-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Yeah, if you've found us here, we are the newer than new 6.2 crew (sorry, couldn't resist, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

nwmm
09-19-2006, 08:11 AM
That is perfectly fine.

To be honest, I pm another car seat tech and she was ***wonderful.**** I am not second guessing her, her experiences, and her thoughts but, before spending a fair amount of money I thought I would hear what BB had to say - -for the heck of it.

I am looking for a convertible seat for my 2006 Toyota Camry. My baby is 10 months and on the small side (10% - height and 10% weight). She should continue on that curve. The Marathon was suggested and all the reasons why. Again, GREAT info., from the original tech. She was the first one who really consolidated the info. for me. (I forwarded it on to all my friends.) I think that is the seat I am going to buy.

I wanted to hear what techs had to say about installing and those who use it everyday. I know there are tons of other posts just like this one! If anyone has the time to respond, I have the time to read!

While I have you all, what does the CV stand for in the title of some Marathon sold at Target. I plan to purchase at BRU anyway.

Thanks everyone and thanks to the original tech. who responded so quickly!

kellyotn
09-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I have three Marathons for my two kids. I love them. They are SUPER easy to install and use on a day to day basis. I don't even bat an eye to move them to granny's car or to take them out if they or the car need cleaning. Its just not a big deal. My husband is always asking why we don't just trade cars with granny and I just say it'd take longer to move our stuff around between the two cars than it would the seats.

My sister has a 2003(not sure, but not the brand newest style) Camry and says its a piece of cake to install. AND, that two other seats (the discontinued Fisher Price Safe Embrance and the Cosco Scenera) were MUCH more difficult for some reason. She never did get a satisfactory install with the FP rear facing, and she's GOOD at installing seats. ;) Something about the bottom contour Camry's seat with the FP and the Scenera made is just really hard to install them, especially RF. They were VERY upright, I guess. You needed many noodles, etc.

I've used the FPSE, the Scenera and the MA. They are all nice, but the MA lasts for so long and is such a nice cushy fun seat, its the winner! Your DD is so small, she'll likely be set for 5-6 years in a Marathon. That's GREAT!

Does CV stand for a cover style? I'm not sure!

o_mom
09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I think CV may just mean Convertible. They may have only updated some descriptions lately.

kellyotn
09-19-2006, 11:26 AM
That makes sense!

nwmm
09-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone!

I have another question....
I was next to a book store today (**honestly!**) and I glanced at the latest BB rating for Britax Marathon. I could only skim it cause my sweet baby has turned into "the screetcher" :) but... the Marathon was rated a B. Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks!

o_mom
09-19-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure why. It was rated A in the 5th edition and the seat hasn't changed since then. They did rate other Britax seats B only because they cost more, nothing to do with safety or ease of use.

Honestly, I have stopped even using their ratings on carseats. I bought the ComfortSport based on their recommndation and it only lasted 18 mos because the top slots are so short. I could have used that $80 toward a Marathon and not had to buy a seat for 4-5 YEARS. Not much of a bargain, eh?

kellyotn
09-19-2006, 01:15 PM
There was a big thread awhile back about how the board and the Field's advice doesn't always go hand in hand. (It started with their blog mentioning it was "ok, really" to booster 3 year olds. Lots of people here very much disagree. They did edit the booster statement.)

They seem to have a problem with the MA HAVING a 65 lb weight limit that most kids won't reach. They'll outgrow it by height first. Fine, they likely will. BUT, the same kid could also outgrow a 40 lb seat by height, by 30 lbs and age 2-something! What then? That the MA goes past 40 lbs and is such a tall seat, for most kids, gets them well past age four when boostering does become more of a safe possibility in general (for maturity issues).

Divided out per year an MA that lasts 5-6 years after the infant seat vs. a smaller seat that lasts 1-3 years after the infant seat - its really a great deal! Its a good per year price, and its just nice to NOT have to shop for a new seat for a three year old.

But, the Fields don't/didn't seem to agree. They think the MA is "overkill" because a booster is "just fine".

We all have opinions, I guess. Your daughter is small, she may very well last until 4 in a smaller seat if she stays on the same curve. Maybe you WANT to shop for something new sooner than 5-6 years. Maybe the MA is too big for your car.

For me, I just like that its so large and long lasting. My daughter outgrew one smaller seat in her dad's truck at three, and another six months later. It was NOT fun picking out something new. After nearly losing my mind trying to find a good solution, I ended up with - another Marathon. :P

tjham
09-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Good responses!

I bought a Marathon for my granddaughter at 4 1/2! She is now 5 1/2 and still has lots of room in it. I think they downgraded it because of the cost, but there is nothing else out there with all its features.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
PERFECT response.

I have tall kids... two out of three are on the skinny end.

my daughter is 33lbs and 38" at 2&1/2... she uses the third slots on the Marathon, which means any other convertible, she'd either have outgrown (graco comfortsport and evenflo triumph) or be outgrowing (all other 40lb limit convertibles) before too long... most likely before age 4.

my oldest outgrew everything by height first, but he did outgrow 17" top slots seats when he was well over 40lbs.

my second outgrew harnessed seats altogether (his evenflo harnessed booster called the express) by weight... it had the same top slots as the Marathon, so clearly the Marathon would be a better buy either way.

so yes, the weight limit gives room for the heaviest and bulkiest kids, but the real point is, it allows for over 40lbs, goes rearfacing and back, and has tall top slots.
even my oldest, who is 96% for height and predicted to be 6'4", didn't outgrow it till after his 6th birthday.