PDA

View Full Version : Graco SnugRide and 04 Chevy Trailblazer

purple_lady16
09-19-2006, 06:21 PM
I've been told 2 different installation methods for my Graco SnugRide in my 04 Chevy Trailblazer. I want to install it in center. One friend told me she went to the police department and they installed it in the center with with the LATCH system. There are only 4 LATCH tethers in my 2nd seat. Another friend went to the police station for her SnugRide to be installed and they told her the LATCH hooks in the 2nd seat are not at the proper spacing and she must use center lap belt. I've looked in the owners manual and Chevy doesn't say to use or not to use LATCH for center car seat placement. Which is correct? Thanks for your help.
Amy

new_mommy25
09-19-2006, 06:36 PM
If there are only 4 hooks then you don't have center latch. Use the seat belt. Luckily, it is very easy to get a good tight fit using a lap belt.

Joolsplus2
09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Check your vehicle manual, if there are pictures of LATCH being used in the window/outboard seats and no pictures of a carseat in the middle, you do not have LATCH in the middle. In fact, I know you don't have LATCH in the middle at all, and yes, you must use the center seatbelt to install (however, tech training isn't what it should be, and unfortunately 'read the manual' escapes some techs...sigh...).

You may end up needing the locking clip to get a good tight non-tippy installation...or return your snugride for a safeseat or chicco key fit or combi connection or centre dx, which all either have built in lockoffs or a belt path that prevents tipping (the snugride base is somewhat old technology...safe, totally safe, but tippy in most shoulderbelt installations, unfortunately). Or just use LATCH in the outboard position, that's perfectly acceptable (yes, side seats ARE safe...ANY seat in back properly installed and used is VERY safe :) )

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

purple_lady16
09-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. Tomorrow installing the base is on my list of things to get done. I'll try the center belt and if I don't like it or it seems too wobbly, I just may do LATCH behind the passenger seat.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-20-2006, 10:37 AM
that is exactly what I would do... the basic rule is... unless it says specifically that you CAN... assume center latch is a no-no.

some cars allow borrowing of the inner outboard seats' latch hooks, but only if spacing is correct.

good rule of thumb is when there are 4 hooks, look in the manual... if it doesn't say YES, answer is no.

daniele_ut
09-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Be aware that the manual for the Trailblazer says that while you *can* install a carseat in the center, some won't fit because the space between the seatbelt and buckle is too narrow. We drove a motor pool Trailblazer this summer for 2 months, and I had a HECK of a time trying to install my Marathon outboard with the seatbelt and ended up using LATCH. I didn't even try the center install because he was RF and I needed to be able to reach him on a 20+ hour drive, but everytime I would think the seat was tight and I would lock the lockoffs the seat would slide!

Papooses
09-21-2006, 12:23 AM
If the manual only shows LATCH use outboard & doesn't say not to use in the center then I would at least temporarily put outboard while trying to contact Chevy for their input as well as the carseat manufacturer. Toyota tells me they defere to the carseat manufacturer & some carseat manufacturers have asked me for the measurement between the two lower LATCH hooks.

How about installing with seatbelt instead? My older Blazer manual said never to install in the center at all!

The safest location for the carseat is where it can be installed securely & correctly. Kiddo will still be quite safe if the carseat cannot be in the center.

Neatfreak
09-21-2006, 06:13 AM
We rented a Trailblazer for a few months earlier this year, and I interpreted the manual as saying that carseats weren't to be installed in the center. Maybe I took it the wrong way, but I doubt that my daughter's MA would have fit very well there anyway. We installed it RF outboard with the seatbelt.

Out of curiosity, I tried putting it FF in the Trailblazer, outboard again, and the fit was really lousy. The headrests protrude so much that the MA's base was hanging over the edge of the seat! It probably would have fit better if I reclined the vehicle seat, but I wasn't sure if that was allowed in the world of carseat installation ...

Joolsplus2
09-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, it's only new that you even can install any kind of seat in the center with the seatbelt, and only then if the base is narrow enough to fit between the anchors and you get a good fit (seems the old seatbelts would just willy nilly release when at the wrong angle reached around too wide of a carseat...lovely...).
You can probably take the headrest out, and yes, a couple notches recline is perfectly ok as long as the seat is still installed tightly...for future reference, anyway :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Neatfreak
09-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks! Really, it's good to hear! We might have to rent another vehicle in a few months, and my husband's company insists on a 4WD - there's probably another Trailblazer in my future and my daughter is approaching 33 lbs ...

purple_lady16
09-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately I still haven't gotten around to trying it out. I just haven't been feeling well. I am determined to do it today though!