PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your car to the carwash if you have a carseat installed?

wencit
09-20-2006, 03:58 PM
I know this is a strange question, but bear with me, please. I want to wash my car, but I'm too lazy to do it myself. I usually go to one of those carwash places. However, I have a Marathon rearfacing in the backseat, and it's tethered to the front passenger seat grooves. I got my carseat checked by the local police department, and I don't want one of the carwash attendants to mess with the installation. In particular, I don't want them to move the front passenger seat at all. So how do you deal with this situation? Do you let the attendants know? The difficulty is that there are usually two different sets of people, the ones who vacuum before your car goes through the wash, and the ones who dry everything off afterwards. How do you make sure no one messes with the carseat installation?

I told you it was a weird question, but in the meantime, my car is getting dirtier and dirter! :) Thanks for your help!

o_mom
09-20-2006, 04:01 PM
I go to one that you just drive through... DS1 thinks it's a blast :-) If you can find one like that it is worth it. I have to vacuum myself, but I just do that at home.

daniele_ut
09-20-2006, 04:09 PM
I've used a carwash that vacuums many times, and no one has ever touched the carseat. They just vacuum around it. If your worried about them moving the passenger seat, you could either mention it to them or unhook the tether and hook it back up yourself

wencit
09-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Hmmm, it never occurred to me to unhook the tether myself. That won't affect the "integrity" of the installation?

Joolsplus2
09-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Then you can re-hook it afterwards. You've got another 5 years to use this seat, you'd better learn to take it out and put it back all by yourself (did the techs teach you that? Really, I can install a Marathon rearfacing in under 2 minutes...even before I was a tech ;) )

I'm pretty sure they won't mess with your seat, though... they'll just vacuum around it.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

DebbieJ
09-21-2006, 11:33 AM
They won't touch it. Don't worry.

And unhooking the tether won't affect anything. As mentioned, you can just hook it back up when they're done.

Undoing the seatbelt...now that's another story.

As Julie mentioned, you really need to learn how to install this seat yourself. It's really much easier than you think. I just did it mulitple times with two MAs yesterday while my sister and I test drove Odysseys. :) I think I'm around the 2 minute mark now myself. :)

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

wencit
09-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks, ladies! I'll just take it to the carwash, and if anyone messes with it, I guess that'll be the perfect opportunity to learn how to install this seat myself.

I'm usually pretty anal about having to know everything, but I admit that I let DH install the carseat. And the carseat tech did teach him about installation, but I was too busy taking care of DS to pay attention. (insert embarrassed, sheepish smiley here) I just didn't think there would ever be a reason to uninstall/reinstall the seat. I guess I'd better go figure it out myself.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Joolsplus2
09-21-2006, 12:48 PM
If you need any pointers, we'll walk you through it. And don't worry, I know... among the 12 billion things you have to learn when you have a new baby, sometimes it's easier to delegate some of those tidbits of info to dad. (but also, it's not as tough as it seems, I promise you can handle it).

:)

carryingandstrollingabout
09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I went years before I did my own installation. Once the police tech installed it, it was sacred! When we bought a new car, husband did the seat, and again, it was sacred.

On with a 2nd child and need for grandparents to come and share pick ups and drop offs, did I study manual and do practice runs in installing.

The shocker: indeed it is super easy, as said above, it takes 2 minutes to install perfectly.

I hear you! I felt the same way. But it really is easy. My trick is instead of kneeing it, sitting in it myself and pulling the latch straps tight (but that's for forward facing).

Good luck!

murphydog77
09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
I think this is a valid concern. We have a problem here in my city with the car wash people uninstalling seats then placing them back on the vehicle seat and not telling parents that they uninstalled the seats. They did that to the former Safe Kids director at one place and got an earful, believe me. But they still do it. I'd put a big note on both the car seat and the front seat that says not to touch either.

But, really, you do need to know how to install your own seat ;).

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

KrisM
09-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow, that's pretty scary that they would do that. How awful.

KrisM
09-22-2006, 07:04 PM
You may never have to install it, but there are definite times that you might. For example, what if you're in an accident and not hurt enough to warrant an ambulance ride, but your car is undriveable. You call a friend to pick you and your DS up and have to put the carseat in. Sure, maybe you're supposed to get a new seat before you use it, but that might not be realistic either.

I just think we should all know how to install the carseats. I also think we should all know how to change a tire, too :). I can do the carseat in about 4 minutes and a tire in about 15.

Momof3Labs
09-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Or if you check your seat one day (which you should do regularly) and find it loose - do you stay home until you can find someone to fix it for you? Not if you know how to install it - you just hop in, tighten it properly and off you go. You also need to know how to uninstall and reinstall to change the strap height and wash the cover!

Joolsplus2
09-23-2006, 07:43 AM
We got a super-duper car detailing on our car once, they took the seat out, and FORGOT to put it back in the car. Fortunately we were close to the place and had a friend who could go get it for us, but it was totally stupid and inconvenient.

tjham
09-23-2006, 01:08 PM
I haven't had them mess with my carseats but they have moved the drivers seat. I am short and they have to move it back to wipe off the dash, etc.

I agree about the importance of learning to DIY! My daughter just relied on me to do her son's until I MADE her do it herself. Now she does it for her friends' seats (but makes them watch LOL ).

wencit
09-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Ai yi yi! Okay, y'all thoroughly convinced me that I should learn to do it. I promise I will make you all proud and try it myself.

Again, thanks for the advice!