PDA

View Full Version : The eternal debate: which Britax convertible carseat for compact car?

citymama
09-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Like many other posters, I'm trying to figure out which Britax convertible carseat to get for DD, age 6 months, 16 lbs and 27.5 inches tall. I was initially inclined to go with a Roundabout, but that only goes till 30 inches, which it looks like we'll be at pretty soon! However, I don't think we can fit a gargantuan carseat in our little Saturn SL. So what next - the Marathon? Also, if we did go with a RA, what happens when she gets to 40 lbs - do we move up to a Marathon, or can we use a booster seat?

Oh, and we do a far amount of air travel (3-4 trips/year, mainly coast-to-coast, and one int'l), so that's a consideration too.

Thanks for any help! This board is so great!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-20-2006, 10:33 PM
If you can fit an infant seat in the car you should not have a problem with a MA/DC/BV, especially since your dd is 6 months old and can have the seat a bit more upright than an infant.

If you are not going to go with the MA/DC/BV i would reccomend the Cosco Serena. It is RF to 35 lbs and FF to 40 lbs. It might be nice to have it for a spare car or for air travel, because the seat is alot lighter and smaller. If you buy a seat that only goes up to 40 lbs you will most likely have to buy another seat when it is outgrown.

I am not sure if you know this, but it is preffered for children to stay RF as long as possible, hopefully to the weight limit of the seat.

HTH

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060826/Fsm6.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/alzym7/.png[/img][/url]

Papooses
09-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Test them out -- Babies R Us usually allows this....

After outgrowing a 40# limit carseat I would then choose a Britax Regent & yes it is safest to keep kiddo RF until reaching the maximum limmits of the convertible.

I don't like to see kids use a booster as the primary seat after only 40# unless they're mature & small for their age. It seems most kids outgrow the Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard around Kindergarten or after & can learn to use a booster correctly, though.

Joolsplus2
09-21-2006, 08:56 AM
30 inches? That's the old old old recommendation for rearfacing only (phew, because that WOULD be a huge waste of money for most kids) Now it's till the top of the head is even with the top of the seat or 33 pounds rearfacing, till the shoulders are over the top slot by a smidgen or 40 pounds forward facing. Easily gets most kids to 18-24 months rearfacing, and age 3-4 forward facing. Then you get a bigger harnessed seat (Regent/Safeguardseat/Marathon/Radian/Apex...whatever else is out in a couple years)...then you reluctantly move her into a booster, till she's 8-12 and fits properly in the vehicle seatbelt (8 for big kids, 12 for small kids...all depends how they fit in the car).
And the Roundabout is a virtual breeze to travel with.. installs great in most cars, not too heavy, can be propped on most strollers to get you through the airport with ease.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

citymama
09-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification! The RA sounds like a viable option - although I can tell it's not the favorite on this board! I will also check out the MA and BV IRL.

Other suggestions are welcome. Thanks everyone!

SnuggleBuggles
09-25-2006, 03:50 PM
We loved our RA! But, now that ds is nearing 40lbs I wish I had bought the Marathon because I would be set for longer.

Beth (not a carseat expert, just a mom who liked her RA :))

HereKittyKitty
09-25-2006, 03:52 PM
>If you can fit an infant seat in the car you should not have
>a problem with a MA/DC/BV, especially since your dd is 6
>months old and can have the seat a bit more upright than an
>infant.
>

FWIW, my DH's car is apparently the exception to this (small 2 door car) - the infant seat fits ok, and while the MA doesn't stick out futher, the furthest out point is so much higher up in the car that the front seat won't fold back and latch into place (this was with the MA pretty upright, too). We were very surprised, to say the least. And ended up getting an RA, which fit very nicely (DH was trying to use this as his excuse to get a new car, so the RA was cheap in comparison... lol). We'll deal with getting something else when the RA is getting outgrown, and DH may have his new car by then as well.

Joolsplus2
09-26-2006, 08:40 AM
It WOULD be the favorite, by far, if it were taller! I love it so much I bought it just to use for a year, if that's all my dd will fit rearfacing into it before I have to buy a Boulevard or something bigger. I just know most people don't have unlimited carseat budgets, so I recommend bigger things that give you more bang for your buck, if possible :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx