PDA

View Full Version : Which seat for DD? Recaro Young Sport or Decathalon?

arcoe
09-23-2006, 01:08 PM
My DD is 4, and is 35 lbs/38 inches. I need to get her a new seat as we just gave DS her Roundabout which she just outgrew.

At this age...should I go with the Recaro Young Sport so that I will have a harness for now, and booster for later? Or should I go with a Decathalon?

Thanks!!!
Robin

Robin
Mom to Lexy (4) and Tyler (1)

vickimaggie
09-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Personally I would go with a Regent. It harnesses to 80lbs so it would likely be the last seat you'd need and you could keep her harnessed (which is safer than a belt positioning booster) for a really long time.

Vicki

o_mom
09-23-2006, 02:55 PM
The Decathlon would give you more rear-facing time and harness time to your DS, so that might be a good option. Then buy a Regent or booster later when she outgrows the Decathlon.

katiesmommy
09-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Since she's too big to RF anymore, I'd also go with the Regent. It would give you the most harnessed time. And she'd likely fit in it for at least another 4 to 5 years, so you'd definitly get your money's worth out of it.

MamaParis
09-23-2006, 07:39 PM
How is her growth pattern? Has she not gained much weight in the last couple years?

Honestly, at 4 years old and only 38" tall - she's not overly tall (especially if she still fits in a Roundabout! ;) )and at 35 lbs she's not heavy at all - I may be the lone dissenter here, but I think the Regent would be overkill, really - unless you really want her to be harnessed until she's like 10. And there is nothing wrong with that at all as its your safEST option. But not everyone is keen on harnessing their kids until they are 15 ...

My oldest DD is 3.75 years old over 45" tall and is 29 pounds (HUGE growth spurt recently!)

Anyway, I have her in a Recaro Young Sport in my parents vehicle and she has a ton of growing room left in it, plus it makes a really nice booster seat. I tried out the belts on her just for fun and even now they fit her well (not that I'd ever use them on her right now), so I imagine that when she is like 5 or 6 or so that they'll fit her even better.

The marathon, decathlon, boulevard would also be a nice choice and give her a good bit more height growth and a ton of weight growth. My oldestis too tall for the Roundabout - but still has lots of growing room in the Marathon - I expect her to be in it until she's about 5 1/2, maybe 6.

She's actually still Rear Facing in it right now ... ;)

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
09-25-2006, 12:16 PM
are her shoulders already over the top slots on the Roundabout?

if they are, I'd go with the Roundabout.

If not, since you have another baby to inherit the seat, I'd get the Decathalon or Marathon.