PDA

View Full Version : Graco Safeseat?

nbradshaw
09-24-2006, 01:45 PM
I would love any feedback people have on the Safeseat. We're expecting #1 in January. Friends all love their Snugride seats, partly due to the light weight. I've seen the Saferide and note that is it weighs a little more. But, love that it will likely accomodate the baby until she's a year old. I drive a two-door car, so I think having the handle to remove the seat and pull out will be much easier than trying to get her in and out of a rear-facing convertible if she outgrows her Snugride before she's big enough to face forward.

Anyhow, that was the long way of asking whether anyone has any cautions on the Safeseat.

Nicole

o_mom
09-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, she should remain rear-facing to the limits of a convertible seat as that is the safest. That is 30-35 lbs or when she reaches the height limit of the seat (usually 2-3 years old). Babies' necks are not developed enough to really be safe forward facing at a year (see the stickies at the top of the page).

So, I guess that's a way of saying don't let the one year mark sell you as she really should be rear-facing much longer than that. She will probably out grow either seat before she is really ready to forward face.

Both of those seats will get heavy very quickly. When you have a 15 lb baby in it, a couple extra pounds of seat isn't very much. Most likely you would not be taking the seat in and out much after 7-8 months, just in and out of the house, maybe. You could set it on the front seat to put the baby in and out and then move it to the back, which might be slightly eaiser than just sitting in the back seat and strapping her in, but not much.

The Safeseat would last to around 12-24 months. That would be nice because even at a year, many kids will still fall asleep in the car and it is nice to be able to transfer them into the house. Also, she would be outgrowing the Snugride next fall, so you would be going into winter without an infant seat. It is nice to be able to strap them in and put blankets and covers on before putting them in the car. Otherwise you have to dash out in a light coat or remove a heavy coat before putting her in the carseat. The carseat is cold and you are trying to warm it up, etc.

Anyway, those are just my random thoughts!

nbradshaw
09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Thank you for the comments - I didn't know how long babies stay rearfacing. I'm doing my homework but at this point just getting through the first six months.

Anyhow, I think I'm leaning to the Safeseat, even if it's too heavy to carry around regularly when she gets bigger, it does give that option if she's sleeping or weather's bad, whatever. Additionally, I've read (although not verified) that the Safeseat has additional padding which supposedly increases safety. If this is in fact true, a couple pounds of car seat is nothing to ensure my baby's safety.

Thanks again!

o_mom
09-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Don't feel bad, alot of people don't know how long to keep kids rear-facing. The information takes along time to trickle down, and unfortunately there are still many people who don't even use a seat, or use it improperly, that extended rear-facing takes the back burner sometimes. Pediatricians also take a long time to change and many still tell people to turn kids at 1 year and 20 lbs, even though the AAP says to keep them rear-facing as long as possible.

Yes, I forgot to mention, the SafeSeat has EPS foam in the head area. It is like the material they make bicycle helmets out of. If you lift the cover at the top you will see it lining the shell of the seat. I will probably get a SafeSeat for the next baby as I can see it being very useful!

Good Luck with your search!