PDA

View Full Version : Decided on Safeseat, now which stroller?

coach4
09-25-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm due in December and have decided on the Graco Safeseat but am wondering for those of you that have the safeseat which stroller are you using, Graco just came out with a travel system, Bermuda I think it's called that includes the Safeseat or is there a stroller that you like better that is compatible with the safeseat?

Thanks for all your help.

Natalie

SnuggleBuggles
09-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I just don't like the idea of travel systems. I think they encourage parents to overuse their car seats. Car seats should be for the car and maybe an occaisonal carrying around (obviously for the infant only seats). There is some medical evidence that shows it isn't good for their joints to be in more than X amt of time/ day (check out Baby Center's products for baby board for more info as one poster there has done a great job compiling info). It is just so much simpler to get around with a Bjorn or sling; no need to look for elevators, great for travel, great for sporting events or other places where a stroller would be a pain in the butt, easy to keep baby happy just by swaying...I used my travel system less than 10 times. As a 1st time mom I had the flexibility to plan outings for when baby would be awake. I would rather baby be awake taking in the world during outings and asleep at home.

I'd consider just a stroller that will last you your stroller years rather than a stroller that may be bigger and bulkier just so you can take advantage of the short window of time that is the travel system phase (like 6 months). I always wished I had invested in a good stroller that was small rather than a travel system.

Think long term and consider how you really want to get around with baby. :)
Beth

skipspin
09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
IMO, if you want something for short trips the Snugrider on another Snap and Go type frame stroller would be great. Then you can also buy a stroller that you can use from birth till they are much older that fits your needs the best and you won't have to worry about the car seat not fitting or matching. If it's a quick trip and the baby is sleeping you could use the car seat in the frame, or if you are strolling the mall or the neighborhood you can get your baby out of the car seat and lay them in the stroller where they have more room to spread out.

vickimaggie
09-25-2006, 09:12 PM
I have an Inglesina Zippy. Its a really nice stroller, folds up nice and small, pushes easily, doesn't weigh much, and I'm pretty sure its compatible with most infant seats (although you may want to check on the stroller board to be sure on that one.) I would also not recommend a travel system, they are big bulky and hard to push IME.

All that being said I agree with the PP, my baby was a sling baby. I wore her in a sling or carrier until she wa 18-20 months old and now at 2 years old, she walks or sits in a shopping cart (if we're at Target or someplace like that.) Our stroller, as nice as it was, never saw much action, and in fact I probably only used it 3-4 times before she turned 6 months old. We were all happier with her in a sling. It was easier for me, better for her, etc.

elephantmeg
09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I got a universal carseat carrier thingy at Target for $50 and used it some. Loved how light it was. I mainly used it when he was sleeping and he had gotten too heavy to want to schlep a carseat around with him in it or when mall shopping, always with a sling in the basket for when he woke up/tired of being in it! Then I was able to get a nicer stroller without the carseat function that I think will last us until he is too old to want to be in a stroller and is super easy to push etc (jeep cherokee 3 wheeler)