PDA

View Full Version : Regent or Recaro Youth Sport?

Rhonda36
09-27-2006, 08:22 AM
I have two kids, ages 3 and 22 months, both of whom are in Marathons. I'm considering passing one of the Marathons to grandma, and getting a harnessed "booster" for my 3 year old to serve as his last carseat.

Neither child *needs* to be moved from the Marathon -- my son is only 32 pounds at nearly 3.5, and very skinny. I'm just wondering if having a booster seat might help him climb in and out of the seat more easily at pre-school pick up and drop off (silly reason to spend a few hundred dollars, I know...).

I'm considering the Recaro since there isn't an expiration date due to the aluminum frame -- so that it could be passed to a third child if needed. I can't really consider using it for my daughter -- since they are so close in age I will probably end up getting the same seat for her.

But in reading the posts -- it seems everyone recommends the Regent over the Recaro. Can someone explain why? Seems that the weight limits are the same, they are both 5 pt harness -- but the Recaro would last longer due to expiration dates, right?

TIA!
Rhonda

Rhonda36
09-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Ooooh, I think I just figured it out. The Regent you can harness to 80 lbs, and the Recaro you have to switch to belts at 40 lbs. Right?

Then I think the Regent is the way to go...

Joolsplus2
09-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Yep, you got it... that whole harness thing... :)

Other 'low' seats to consider would be the Graco Ultra/Platinum Cargo, the Evenflo Generations, the Cosco Apex, or the Recaro Young Sport. (The Start is the one you were looking at that doesn't expire...it's a HUGE PAIN to buckle on a little kid...so bad I sold mine to put my then-4 yo back in a harness, which was easier to deal with BY FAR... yes, caps were intended, the Start is a bugger to buckle :P lol).

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Rhonda36
09-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Ok, I just ordered the Regent from Elite (who priced matched babyuniverse). I figure my skinny guy will be in high school before he hits 80 pounds... :)

Thanks for the help.
Rhonda

kellyotn
09-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Additionally, I believe only the Recaro START has no expiration. The Start is only a booster, no harness option.

The Recaro Young Sport does have a harness to be used to 40 lbs, but does expire. At least it did last year when I was researching them into the ground. ;) I wish it had a bit higher weight limit, its a great seat that makes a great booster!!

mommyto4
09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Just wanted to let you know, we absolutely LOVE our Regents. Enjoy, It's a great seat.

Joolsplus2
09-28-2006, 01:16 AM
LOL, he might, too... my 9 yo is only 56 pounds and almost 53 inches and he's got long legs...which means he's just at the second to top slots in his Husky (old name for Regent)! He's got at least 2 years to go in it (He's actually tall enough to ride without a booster in the center seat of his dad's car, but no where near being out of a seat in my larger van)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Katra1
09-28-2006, 02:49 PM
We have the Recaro, and I love it.