PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seat questions...

TLC1994
09-27-2006, 08:28 AM
We're in need of a 2nd booster seat for our 5 yr. old. Currently we have the Graco Platinum CarGo. Now we need another for our 2nd car (or move the Cargo to the 2nd car).

Here are my questions:

1. Is it ok to buy a 2nd hand booster seat? (I know you're not supposed to buy a 2nd hand infant/convertible seat. Didn't know if the same safety issues applied to boosters as well).

2. What boosters are recommended? I've heard the Parkway is excellent. Any other less expensive recommendations? Conversly - are there any I should definitely avoid?

Thanks!

o_mom
09-27-2006, 08:54 AM
1. I wouldn't buy used. You just never know what someone has done to a seat. There are fairly inexpensive boosters, so I doubt you would save much.

2. Parkway is great ($100) fits kids for a long time and is easy to use. The Graco TurboBooster is a less expensive option that seems to work well for most people ($40-100). There is also a FisherPrice booster now that is made by Britax - the Safe Voyage booster ($70-80). The last two can be used backless if needed later.

TLC1994
09-27-2006, 09:04 AM
I like the idea of the F.P. booster. I had the F.P. Stay-in-View for both kids & liked it. From what I remember, F.P. always made good carseats, but then they got out of the market. Glad to see they're back in it - especially if they're teamed up with Britax. I'll go check that one out. Thanks!

o_mom
09-27-2006, 09:16 AM
The FP seats are basically re-packaged Britax seats. Britax just liscenced the FP name. The booster is the Starriser Comfy with a FP cover. BRU carries them, so you should be able to compare all three side by side there.

egoldber
09-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I have the Parkway and the Turbobooster. I like them both for different reasons. If your child still sleeps in the car, I would get the Parkway.

I love the ease and portability of the Turbobooster and its our main "travel" booster.

Joolsplus2
09-27-2006, 12:52 PM
It's actually a re-packaged Starriser Comfy... much easier to adjust the height on, but no pesky seatbelt lockoffs :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

o_mom
09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Whoops, you're right - I was thinking one thing and typing another... :-)

TLC1994
09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
What about if she falls asleep in the car? It doesn't happen everyday, but a few times a month, I'd say. Is her head going to flop (like others have said happens in the Bodyguard) or will she be ok/safe?

Joolsplus2
09-27-2006, 03:53 PM
the Parkway's better for sleeping and side impact protection, really.

egoldber
09-27-2006, 04:15 PM
The Parkway is great if your kid still sleeps in the car.

TLC1994
09-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Well, we went to BRU to check out the different booster seats. They had the Turbobooster, Safe Voyage and Parkway. My daughter actually liked the Safe Voyage the best. I think the "wings" on the other 2 got in her way. So I think we'll be going with that one.

So...now I'm just shopping around for the best price - looks like $79.99 is it.

Just to make sure - is really a terrible idea to get a booster that is under $50 (i.e. the Cosco Protek @ Walmart or an Evenflo seat)? Do the less expensive seats generally NOT have the EPS foam? Why so much cheaper?

Honestly, money is so tight right now that I don't want to spend more than I have to if it's not necessary. But if it is truly safer for my daughter to be in the more expensive seat, I'll do it. Just want to double-check before I bite the bullet.

Thanks again for all your help!

Joolsplus2
09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
The Protek doesn't even have the head support structure to prevent whiplash in a car without headrests...and the seat's pretty smallish, I can't see it lasting very long, honestly. The Evenflo's ok, but to get the one that's even reasonably comfortable, you have to pay as much as a good Turbo Booster anyway (my son never complains about any seat, but the bare bones Big Kid got his ire... :P ).
I don't know why EPS foam is such an expensive feature...maybe from extra testing procedures? It seems odd to me, too...it's just a bit of foam, afterall...

:)

TLC1994
09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah, the Evenflo Big Kid Deluxe booster runs around $60, which I think is the same as the TurboBooster.

I guess for $20 more, it's worth it for the extra safety feature.

Now here's another question...my mom wanted to get a booster for her car for the few times she wants to go somewhere with my daughter (why she can't just borrow ours, I don't know. It's not like transferring a "regular" car seat from car to car). Anyway, I KNOW she's not going to pay over $50 for a booster. Her car is a 2006 Honda Civic with the side curtain airbags, so is it not as critical if she gets a booster with the EPS foam? Just want to make sure that I understand this correctly.

Thanks again for all your help!

egoldber
09-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I only paid $40 for my Turbobooster at TRU when they had a coupon thing going on.

Joolsplus2
09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Yeah, look for one for $50 and tell her that's only ten dollars a year till your dd outgrows it, lol.

Or... they do have some cute flowery Cosco High Rises at Kmart for about $15, if you can stand for your dd to go backless (will she sit straight properly? If you have any doubts, then hunt down a better deal on a turbo or big kid-- I think 40 on sale is fairly common).

TLC1994
09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't think she's quite ready for a backless booster. I think I'll recommend the Turbo since it seems pretty decent for the price and it converts to the backless booster later on. I'll take another look at that today & see how my DD feels about the wings. We're not in as much of a rush to get the one for her car.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. I always receive such helpful information here!

TLC1994
09-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Ok - we checked out Walmart & Target today, just to see the less expensive options for Grandma's car. I think I'm still going to recommend the Turbo to Grandma.

Anway, at Target I saw the Compass booster seat. That one also has the EPS foam protection. How does that seat compare - along the lines of a Turbo or the Safe Voyage?

My daughter didn't really mind those wings, except that the mesh was a little "slippery" she felt if she was going to sleep. Do all versions/styles of the Compass have the mesh on the wings? I saw the Giraffe pattern online and it looks like it may NOT have mesh.

We also looked at the Evenflo Big Kid Deluxe (I think it was deluxe) - it was ok, but she didn't think it was very comfortable. However, now she really wants lights on her booster seat! :)

So - have I made a good decision to go with the F.P. Safe Voyage? Have I completely overlooked another seat? I've read that there are new boosters coming out soon - what are they & when will they be out?

Obviously, Julie, you feel the Parkway is the #1 booster out there as far as safety goes - but of the Turbo, Safe Voyage and Compass - how would you rate them as far as safety? Do you honestly feel they are a lot less safe than the Parkway?

As always...THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU!!!

Joolsplus2
09-29-2006, 06:59 PM
With side curtain airbags, just about anything is fine :).
I keep reading lots of complaints about the Compass, so I'd skip it, I think (too bad, it's way cute... but the giraffe was ripping for one mom, and one boy found it uncomfortable and a little short).

I THINK the FP booster is almost as tall as the old starriser comfy, so it oughta be a pretty long-lasting choice.

DO spend some time going over seatbelt routing with grandma... booster-novices are very likely to run the seatbelts wrong around the armrests (which is one reason I dig the parkway, of course, it can't be messed up, no armrests....)...but with a lesson or two, and dd can learn to do it right.. it's fine.

:)