PDA

View Full Version : stupid question regarding outgrowing infant car seat

laurena
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Just saw the other post regarding the too-big Snugride and read the reply about the infant and "big kid" loops. Duh. I have the opposite problem. So, I'll switch out. But, I think I'll go shopping b/c the day is coming quickly when he'll outgrow it. Thank you!
OK, I'm positive my DC has outgrown the Snugride, but I'll need real, documentation-type proof for DH. It's just his nature. Plus, DS fit in it yesterday (I know, crazy). I think that the opinions of the women-in-the-know of this board counts as documentation level proof and I know DH will listen.

Personally, I feel like it's enough proof that I could barely fit my DS' arms through the straps without hurting him. And, I could only get him in it in just his onsie, not with the lightweight sweater I had on him.

Because the Snugride is borrowed, I do not have the instruction manual (and owner is unavailable for next few days) and I cannot get it to download from Graco's site at all today. Of course, I'd like to purchase another carseat tonight.

Shall I go shopping?

Thank you!!

o_mom
09-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Does it have a front adjuster? If yes, look on the back. There should be a metal "splitter plate". There are two loops on the end of the shoulder strap that attach to this plate. If it is on the shorter loop, move it to the bigger loop. That will give you an extra inch or two of harness length.

I have never found the harness to be too short. My neighbor had a 24 lb 9 mo (he was freakin' huge) in it. He was way too big, by both height and weight, but she "liked the bucket", bleh. The harness still fit.

As long as he is under the weight limit (20 or 22 lbs, look on the label) and there is at least an inch of hard plastic shell above his head he is still OK in it. (assuming that fixes the straps)

laurena
09-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Yep, that was it. I feel dumb. Thank you. He is under the weight limit, and I'll find out tomorrow how much he's under the height limit. He's pretty close, though, I think. At least I can get to the Dr. safely tomorrow.

Someone liked the bucket for a 24 lb. baby?? I like to think I'm strong, but carrying that thing is killing my back and DS is 16 lbs. or so. Bleh is right.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

o_mom
09-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Don't feel dumb - without the manual it is not an obvious problem. The bigger problem is having to tell DH he was right ;-).

The height limit is a guideline, not set in stone like the weight limit. As long as there is at least an inch of shell above his head you are OK.

Yeah, the neighbor is not the brightest when it comes to carseats. I could see the usefulness of a bigger bucket for short transports (think house to car/car to house), but not at the expense of safety.

laurena
09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
It's a good thing I hadn't told him yet. I know to be prepared. :) Thanks for info on height. Didn't know it was a guideline. But it makes sense based on torso vs. leg length.