PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Help

boygirl3
09-30-2006, 12:18 AM
I've read some of the more recent threads about car seats, the baby bargains and the toddler bargains book and I think I'm more confused then ever! I'd appreciate input regarding my situation:

My son is 20 months. At 18 months he was 33" and 25lb...he is in the 90% for height and in the 50% for weight. He currently sits forward facing in an Evenflo Titan convertible seat. I HATE that the fact that you can't tighten the straps easily (can't reach the back of the car seat) and pulling the cord in the front isn't very useful. Also don't like that it doesn't have a cup holder (the Fisher Price after market one doesn't work). Other than that I am happy with the seat. He is just about ready to move up to the last notch in the back and still has about 3-4" before the top of his head reaches the top of the seat. So, I think I don't need a new seat for him for a little while yet. However, when the time comes I think I'll get a combo seat - probably the COSCO Summit or possibly the EvenFlo Generations. Does that sound about right? I am suspecting it will be within the next 6-8 months.

My bigger dilema is with my daughter. She is 3 1/2 months old and is off the charts for height/weight. At 2 months she was 24" and 14lbs. She currently rides in the Baby Trend Adjustable Latch Loc Infant Carrier. It is starting to get a little tight for her - the seat is rather narrow. There is a little more room for her height wise but I think I need to start looking/shopping around now and have something in the next month or so. It get VERY hard to get her in/out of the carrier. I'm looking at convertible seats but really am confused about which one to go with. I have a 1999 GMC Yukon so there is plenty of room in the backseat...though I want to keep her in the middle as long as I can. I didn't really want to spend $200 or more for a seat - especially since we are a 1 income family. I'd like something safe and comfortable...we are in the car quite a bit (not real long trips). It would need to be able to recline a little as she is still small...though she holds her head up really well. I want a 5 point harness and the ability to adjust/tighten it easily when it is both rear & forward facing. A cup holder would be nice.

I thank you in advance for your advise...I really do think I am more confused then when I started.

Joolsplus2
09-30-2006, 07:04 AM
No, you don't want the baby in the middle, you want the much less protected forward facing toddler in the middle (in a crash, heads fly forward and out of the head wings, right into windows and doors...for a rearfacing kiddo, they stay completely contained in the seat and protected against slamming into doors and oncoming bumpers, etc).
Put the baby in the Titan and get the big kid a new seat. NOT the Summit, it has LOW top harness slots. The Evenflo Generations is fine, or the Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo or the Cosco Apex. Or the Cosco Scenera is a good convertible...then you could put them both rearfacing ;).
The sunshine kids side rider is a great aftermarket cupholder...don't rule out a seat because it doesn't have one (Britaxes don't have cupholders as a matter of principle, they don't want projectiles in the passenger compartment to whack into kids in a crash at the speed a pro baseball player can throw them...that doesn't make them bad seats).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
09-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Pretty much just shaking my head in agreement with Julie.

I KNOW it seems contradictory to put the tiny baby outboard, but rear facing is SO SO SO much safer in any position, that its best to put the "least protected child in the most protected spot". So, the front facing toddler (who isn't as safe as the rear facing baby) should go center, if possible. Since both of your kids are small enough to rear face, that would be the ideal. Then, you could put either in the center. ;)

Here's a couple good extended rear facing articles -
http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

For cupholders, I have the Sunshine Kids Side Riders (got them from One Step Ahead catalog). They work really well for sippy cups. I actually need to order another pair...

I really prefer the big Britax/Fisher Price convertible seats, or the Radian if they are in your budget. They last until the child is 5 or 6. So, expensive up front, but great cost per year of use. What other kid gear do we get 5 years out of?! ;)

They are MUCH taller than other seats, in addition to the higher weight limit. This is important because most kids in any seat will outgrow it by height long before weight. Unfortunately, there's little to no solid height info on the boxes when you are shopping. They list a max, but it could be wildly off if your kid has a longer torso, etc. Here's a chart the lists slot heights, which is what I wish the boxes told us! http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html Since your kids are both tall, getting the taller seats now will save you the hassle of shopping again too soon.

My favorite 40 lb seat is the Cosco Scenera 5 point. HUGE rear facing limit, tall seatback, very nice, easy to install and use daily. Bargain at only $40-50. I used one for awhile, but my daughter outgrew it at 3.5. I was bummed! And, shopping for a 3.5 year old stinks! :) (Not ready to booster, too heavy for 40 lb combos, etc. I ended up with another Marathon!)

I don't have one, but for a combo seat, I like the Apex if it works in your car (it didn't our truck). It harnesses longer than the others. It makes a nice booster too.

The Evenflo Generations or Bolero is a very nice 40 lbs seat. Makes a nice booster in the end.

HTH!