PDA

View Full Version : Britax Help (Confused!)

JoyNChrist
10-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new here - expecting my first baby in March. I have some questions regarding Britax carseats (I know there are plenty of topics about them already, so I hope y'all don't mind me adding another).

I'm slowly researching all the new stuff I'll need for the baby, and this week I'm working on carseats. I thought I would just buy an infant seat (like a Graco SnugRide or something similar), then worry about a forward-facing seat later. I didn't even know they made convertible seats (I haven't had a lot of experience with babies) until I read BB! Anyway, I stumbled onto the Britax website and really liked what I saw. It seems much more cost-efficient to buy one of these seats now, as opposed to buying an infant seat now and a bigger seat later. But I'm not sure if I understand how they work...

Am I right in thinking these can be a substitute for an infant seat? If so, can they be removed from the car (do they have plastic bases that stay in the vehicle or do you have to re-install them every time, do they have handles)? Do any of the Britax models fit in a stroller frame (like the Snap N Go or something similar)? Does anyone recommend just getting an infant seat to start with, as opposed to a convertible?

And if I do go this route, which model would I get? (I drive a big GMC Yukon, so any size should fit...I think.) I don't live close to any baby stores (the closest BRU is 2 hours away), so I'll probably have to order something online without trying it out in person.

Sorry I'm so clueless, but I appreciate the help!

~Stacy

niccig
10-02-2006, 05:42 PM
The Britax convertible seats, the Roundabout, Marathon, Decathalon, Boulevard, are not infant bucket seats that you take in and out. You install them and only remove them when moving to another car eg. when you travel. You put the baby in and out. They are convertible seats in that they can face the rear or later face the front for when you child is older.

Infant seat in the beginning.
You can put you baby in the seat in the house, carry to the car, and then from the car into stores, restarants. Warning - too much time in the infant seat is not good for a babies developing spine and head, so you don't want them to spend too much time in the infant seat. Also, the seat plus growing baby can be heavy to carry. As my son got heavier, I would leave the seat in the car as it was too much to cary. It's also easier to travel with an infant seat.

Some babies used to grow out of the infant seats fairly early - 4-6 months, but some of the new seats now have higher weight limits, so many babies can stay in it for closer to a year, if not longer. The safeseat infant seat has a 30lb limit!

Many people get an infant seat and then a convertible seat, and then a booster seat.

Big convertible seat from the beginning

Iif you get a Britax Decathalon or Boulevard (both have infant padding), you will get 5-6 years of use out of the seat, it will depend on the height/weight of your child, their weight limits are from 5-65 lbs. Most carseats have 6 years expiration date, so 6 years is the max time with this seat. But by then, you may just need a booster, so you've only bought 2 seats for your child. You will have to put the baby in and out every time, and this can wake a sleeping baby. You'll have to have the baby in the stroller or carry in a sling.

If you did use an infant seat, there's a good chance you would end up with one of these anyways, I know I did as did many other people on this board.

Many people just use this seat and then buy a booster or a big FF only seat like the Britax regent.

I think it depends on preference.

HTH
Nicci

ETA sometimes weather influences the decision. If you live where it's cold and you're baby will be born in winter, some mums prefer the infant seat as they can put the child in it in the house, put a blanket over them and then snap it into the base.

Also, if you have another child, it can be easier to snap the infant seat into the base in the car or put it on the ground at the park and deal with your toddler.

JoyNChrist
10-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Thank you so much - that clears up a lot!

Still not sure what I'll go with, but now I have a better idea of the pro's & con's for each.

Thanks again,
Stacy