PDA

View Full Version : Hugs on Decathlon Required - Why?

samiam
10-02-2006, 06:21 PM
My owner's manual says the hugs are optional for rear facing but required for forward facing. My 3+ year old son is now facing forward in his Decathlon and he HATES the hugs. I'm curious what function they serve. The manual doesn't explain why they're required. I'm guessing it's just to force you to keep the snap part at armpit level? Anyone? Thanks!

o_mom
10-02-2006, 06:59 PM
They reduce the head excursion. Most likely by spreading the force of the crash over a greater area.

hipmaman
10-02-2006, 08:27 PM
And also prevents the sharp edges of the straps digging into the babe's body in an event of a collision.

Joolsplus2
10-03-2006, 05:27 AM
You know how messenger bags and suitcases have (often) rubber pads on the straps to keep the straps from digging into your shoulder? Same principle... they spread the forces of the straps over a wider/softer area than just straps alone.
They can be down, you don't have to pull them up on his shoulders. As long as the chest clip is at armpit level, then the HUGS can be as low as possible surrounding them, they don't have to be up on his neck (In a crash, his head will be flying forward like 2 feet, and the HUGS will work no matter where they are on the straps).

It's just one of those things moms and kids will get used to, and then other seats will seem so naked in comparison!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx