PDA

View Full Version : RF outboard, any side OK?

niccig
10-03-2006, 03:29 PM
A mum at a parent/toddler class asked me about where to position the carseats when baby no. 2 is born. I told her to keep her DD in the center as she's FF and that it's the most protected spot and FF is less safe than RF, so the baby RF outboard is better. I wasn't sure if either side of the car was equally safe and told her I would find out.

Maybe I have "carseat lover" tatooed on my back, I've never really spoken to this woman before so I don't know why she asked me. She was parked beside us and saw DS RF outboard, maybe that's why she asked. Anyways, it's a chance to pass on some good carseat advice, so is either the driver or passenger side better?

Nicci

Joolsplus2
10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Neither one. Well...one is a tich safer in any given year, but not statistically so, and you never know which one!
If you park next to a curb/parallel park, then it might be better to have the child on the passenger side. If you want to be able to more easily lean back and hand them things at a stop sign, again, the passenger side is better. If your front passenger seat is always empty, then there's less risk of the seat collapsing backwards in a severe rear impact (the driver's seat is always occupied, there's always a risk of that happening if the car is being driven).
But if you make a dozen unprotected left turns a day, you might prefer to have your kiddo on the more protective driver's side (I know in LA I was scared to drive at all, every left turn was unprotected...eeek! You just put yourself out in that intersection and prayed oncoming traffic would see you making that left...barbaric, lol... no left turn lanes).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

niccig
10-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks Julie. I'll tell her what you said and she can decide.

I hate not having left turn lanes or left turn arrows x( You're out in the intersection waiting to turn left, but there's so much traffic coming the oppostie way you have to go when the light is yellow. I don't pull out far, and I hesitate as some idiot is always going to run the yellow light. Often the driver behind get's annoyed...I don't care, I'm not moving unless I'm pretty sure the other traffic is stopped!

Nicci