PDA

View Full Version : Britax Booster Question

shburks
05-24-2007, 02:06 PM
My friend needs help. She has two Britax booster seats (the older ones--before the Parkway) and now needs another one for her soon-to-be four dd. (I know...please don't tell me about her needing to be harnessed still, etc. They just won't discuss it.) She says they don't like the new Parkway or Monarch and want to find an older version of the Britax.

I wanted to know if anyone knew what the differences were between the older Britax booster and the Parkway. Why wouldn't they like one over the other?

ETA: I guess I'm asking what the main differences are between the Parkway and the Starriser.

What she's really looking for is a NIB Starriser. I've already given her the argument of losing some years of eligibility of use based on the DOM.

Susan

Madelyn
05-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I got a NIB Starriser last fall from Ebay (Babysurplus, I think?). But those may have been the last of them. She could get the Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster which is the same shell as the Starriser (Britax makes them for Fisher Price). I have one of these too and my need was for the narrowest boosters to get 3 in a row (2 boosters and an infant seat) in my rear seat. The Parkway is a nicer, plusher seat but it is wider. It has EPS foam protection I believe and may accomodate a wider weight range (I think has a lower beginning weight?). You can take the back off the Starriser to make it a backless booster...don't think you can do that w/ the Parkway. But other than the width issue, not sure why you would not go w/ the Parkway. The Starriser does not have cupholders but the Fisher Price version does and so does the Parkway.

Joolsplus2
05-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Heh, want me to try to dig up the side impact crash tests of the starriser? THAT's why they don't make it anymore (that dummy just flies right into that window, it's NOT good). Yeah, the FP is 'the same' but a lot easier to adjust, so that's her best bet if she refuses something safer (Parkway,Monarch, Jane Indy, Recaro,Compass B510).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

shburks
05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Thank you both so much. I did consider the FP one, so I'll pass on that information.

Julie, if you *could* find some information on the side impact tests on the Starriser, that would be great. She has her 5 and 7 yr old ds in them now!

Susan

shburks
05-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks, girls. Love my friend...her car seat ethics drive me crazy. She has an almost four year old (in June) who is well over 30 lbs still riding in a Roundabout in the next to highest slots--way below her shoulders.

I just talked to her about the seats. She says what they'll probably end up doing is taking the 7 year old out of his booster, shift the five year old into that Starriser and giving the four year old the next one.

She also says what they hate about the Parkway are those "funky things around their head." I tried to explain why they are so important, but she doesn't care...doesn't like them.

AAHHHHH...

I asked her to please double check the DOM on both her seats since she's had both of them at least four years.

Susan