PDA

View Full Version : My son is unlatching his 5-point harness while in his car seat!! Help!!

Corie
05-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Is there some type of safety thing that I can buy to stop my son from
undoing his 5-point harness while in his car seat???

I looked back at him today and he was in his car seat but completely
unstrapped.

Please help me!!

momtoB
05-25-2007, 06:35 PM
How old is he? What kind of seat is it? Is he r/fing or f/fing?

Also, make sure you have the harness as snug as a hug - that is make sure you can't pinch any between your thumb and forefinger at the collar bone. Also, make sure the chest clip is up by armpits.

You can also use sticky back velcro - stick the stiff side to the buttons and this will sometimes be enough to discourage little fingers from pushing them to unlatch.

hth!

Corie
05-25-2007, 08:06 PM
He is 2.5 years old. He is in a Britax Roundabout and it is forward-facing.

I have the harness very snug. But somehow, he manages to shimmy the
chest clip all the way down from his armpits to the very bottom. Then,
he pinches the chest clip open.
From there, he uses both thumbs to push open that last one. It is pretty
difficult to open.

I watched him do this in my rear view mirror.

o_mom
05-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Ugh.

Do you have the newer style chest clip? It has release tabs on top and bottom, where the older ones only had it on the bottom (older ones are more 'square', newer ones more 'rounded'). The new ones are harder to undo. If you have an older one you can order a new one from Britax which might help.

Another suggestion has been to stick a piece of velcro on the button. Use the 'hard' side or some self adhesive velcro cut to fit the button. They don't like the feel of it and may not push hard enough to release it.

Not so great in the summer, but a coat or shirt put on backwards over the harness straps after you get them on tight can put it out of sight, and hopefully out of mind.

tjham
05-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Wow, he is a Houdini! Most of the people whose kids get out of their seats have the lever type adjuster, like the Marathon. Then people recommend that they get the Roundabout or Decathelon because it has the button, which is *supposed to be* harder to open!

Hope getting the new type chest clip or using the velcro helps!

Maybe he is old enough to try the "We're going to get ice cream" trick. When he undoes the seat, you go straight home without the ice cream! Cruel but effective!