PDA

View Full Version : Radian 65 for redeye to London?

carolines mommy
05-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Would the Radian 65 be a good seat for a 3.5 yr old on a flight to London? Would I be able to fold it and put it in the overhead bin during the nighttime hours of our flight since it is a redeye (6pm departure from Chicago arriving London 8am)? I know we should keep her in it for safety, BUT I also know this child will not sleep in it for any extended time so I need that option if absolutely necessary. Our other option is drag our Marathon with or take the Graco platinum cargo but what would we do with them if she won't sleep in them KWIM. Plus our friends' car in England isn't ummm, American sized so the smaller the better.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

Momof3Labs
05-26-2007, 08:02 PM
We took our Radian 65 on a recent flight and couldn't get it installed easily at all, so ended up stowing it overhead both ways. One thing, you can't really count on there being that much bin space mid-flight since the bins seem to fill up pretty well as people board.

carolines mommy
05-27-2007, 08:19 PM
That stinks. I called Virgin Atlantic to make sure I can even bring one on board and didn't get a straight answer from them. We are flying the premium economy class so the seats are larger like they would be in business class. I wonder how that affects seat installation. Geez, what a headache this is becoming.

Erika

niccig
05-27-2007, 10:04 PM
I flew virign atlantic last year, DS wasn't with me, but I saw their toddler seats - basically a smaller airline seat with 5 pt harness that straps into the regular seat - so no need to bring you own car seat on board. You would need to look into weight/height limits - the info. should be on their web site with the "travelling with children" info.

The parents using it in the aisle beside me asked to take it out for their DD to sleep stretched out across their seats, and they wouldn't remove it, as it would take too long to reinstall if there was sudden turblence. So, to me it sounded like you can use their toddler seat if DC fits it and check your own seat with the luggage, but they won't take the toddler seat out mid-flight - please check on this, that's how I interpreted the airline steward's explanation to the other parents.

I actually think it's a great idea they provide toddler seats as they are making sure children are properly strapped in.

HTH Nicci

ETA Here's the link to their info about the toddler seats. Looks like the age limit is 36 months and no weight/height listed. http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us/passengerinformation/travellingwithchildren/index.jsp

Momof3Labs
05-28-2007, 07:22 AM
The installation issue had to do with accessing the seat belt path, not the width of the seat.

Joolsplus2
05-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Did you try reclining the airline seat before you installed it? I think most people have an easy time installing the Radian, but maybe the reclining the airplane seat (then pulling it back upward for tightening) is the trick, and honestly im not sure a TIGHT installation very important on an airplane...it's more about comfort and keeping a kid strapped in for turbulence.

I'm pretty sure Virgin is a butt about using seats, though...someone posted at www.car-seat.org about it (nicci? was it you? lol)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Momof3Labs
05-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, we did. It is such a tight belt path, and unlike a car seatbelt, you have to buckle the belt in that belt path. Maybe if we had worked on it a while longer, but DS1 is 45lbs and old enough to ride safely in the airplane lap belt, so we gave up and threw the seat in the overhead bin (love the fold on it!!).

o_mom
05-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Virgin will not let you use a seat on board. They have their own 'child seats' which are lame and only available up to 36 months, so I would just plan for the seatbelt and whatever seat will be easiest to install when you get there.

The Cargo would be a decent choice, but you will have to gate check it and hope it gets there. Get familiar with a locking clip before you leave in case the seatbelts don't lock. The Radian would be good from a safety perspective in that it has low head excursion without a tether, but it can be such a pain to install in some cars that I would hesitate to take it somewhere without trying it first unless you know they have LATCH.

What about a RideSafer travel vest? If they have shoulder belts and your DD meets the minimum weight (35 lbs) it can be carried on and takes up very little room in the car.

Joolsplus2
05-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Ah, good to know :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

carolines mommy
05-30-2007, 10:20 AM
DD is only 26 pounds at 3 1/2 and about 38 inches. We are flying in July so she'll be 44 months which is past their age limit for the toddler seat. Not a great situation, but we'll have to hope she stays put in the seatbelt when required. Eek! We'll just bring the Graco Platinum Cargo for the drive to the airport and while we are in England. DH will be happy we won't be buying another seat though!

Erika