PDA

View Full Version : It just hit me that vehicle safety isn't just about the car seats!

Jubee
05-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I am completely obsessive about car seat safety. I also made sure we bought a very safe vehicle (Sienna with side curtain airbags). However, for all my concern about car seats, I realized recently that I have completely ignored my tires and brakes. My husband is not one to worry about these things and I didn't have a clue. Well, the other day he vaguely mentioned that we "might" need a new tire. I looked at the tire in question, and it was falling apart! Chunks of tire were coming off on the side. I did some online research and learned about wear bars on tires and how to use a penny to check wear. Well, all four tires needed replacement. It also turns out that we are very close to needing new brakes.

Based on the way our tires were worn, I believe they had been underinflated for ages. My husband didn't even own a pressure gauge and had not been checking. This is a big safety concern as it can cause a tire to suddenly blow. The wear could also have caused hydroplaning or loss of control. This was a reminder to me that I need to look at the big picture of vehicle safety and not just the car seats. I need to have it all right. I am now going to be checking the tire pressure myself on a regular basis, and we have replaced the tires. Have you checked yours?

Maybe car seat techs should also look at tires and talk about the penny test and inflation. Kind of like our ped asked us if the batteries in our smoke detectors were fresh. Just a thought.

Joolsplus2
05-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Very good point! Yup, your car in good working order is important... maybe even a good defensive driving class would be beneficial for most of us...a major reminder to *never* talk on the cell phone (more dangerous than drunk driving)...remembering to have our own seats upright and headrests adjusted properly...mirrors properly adjusted...etc etc etc...

Maybe I should have a rotating 'tip of the day' list in my siggy, huh? :)

I'm glad your tires didn't cause you any problems (my dh is utterly pathetic about car care...I dilligently take my car to the jiffy lube, costco for tire rotation, and dealer for major checkups, and sure enough the one time I drove his lah di dah bmw, the dang thing died on me! Now I hound him to death about taking care of things, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Tondi G
05-27-2007, 06:29 PM
YUP! You should have the tires checked/rotated everytime you have an oil change (every 3000 miles I believe)! AND if you have a Full size Spare they say you should have it rotated in so you get longer wear on all your tires that way!