PDA

View Full Version : Can't get tight install with new Radian in Civic--please help!

jillmom
05-27-2007, 09:27 PM
We bought two new Radian65s a few days ago and tried to install one FF center in our 2004 Civic Hybrid using the lap shoulder belt. It is very loose. There is a lot of lateral movement--it's as if I can't get the seatbelt to feed back any tighter. And there is front/back movement of the tether.
FWWW we previously had our WZ installed center using the two closest outboard LATCHs. I thought I read here that you shouldn't do that, but it was rock-solid. DH wants to use the outboard latches again instead of the belt.
So, can I use the closest outboard latches in the center position? Any tricks to make it tighter with the belt? I really don't want to install outboard.
We haven't even started rearranging all three seats in the minivan yet :P
Thanks for any help.
Jill

Jubee
05-27-2007, 09:46 PM
You're usually not allowed to do that. I believe it depends on the vehicle mfr, and I don't know about Honda. I just read some reviews on the Elitecarseats.com site about the Radian seat. A lot of people seem to have the same problem with it - terrible install unless you use LATCH. You may want to reconsider this seat if you have to install with LATCH to get a good fit. The reason being is that you cannot use LATCH once the child reaches 48 pounds. You may end up not being able to get full use of the Radian (unless the child is tall and thin and outgrow by height before weight anyway). If your child has already outgrown the Wizard, it doesn't sound like LATCH will work long for you.

Joolsplus2
05-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Try the recline mechanism on the Radian, and a big square of shelf liner underneath it. Then you want to utilize those velcro-closed slits in the fabric to get on the seat, and PULL the shoulderbelt forward, so the lapbelt gets mega tight...and only then should you lock the shoulderbelt by pulling it all the way out and letting it ratchet back in. Then remember that the Britax is in it's own league of getting installed tightly, and lower your expectations a bit about the Radian. The rule really is that you only want it to be tight 'at the beltpath', and it will be a bit wobblier than that rock solid Wizard.

Honda still strictly forbids use of the inboard LATCH anchors for a center installation, and has a 40 pound limit on LATCH anyway, so if you can't make this work, DO go find a tech who may be able to help you with the seatbelt installation :) www.seatcheck.org or www.nhtsa.dot.gov have locators, if we can't help you from here :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jillmom
05-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks so much!!
I didn't think we were supposed to use the LATCH the way we did.
DH did what you said with the seatbelt Julie, and that was enough to tighten it so that we are comfortable with the install with the belt in center position. Also, thanks for the reminder about LATCH only til 40lbs in the Hondas since we'll be using LATCH right now in the minivan.
Jill