PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seat questions - help! cross-post from Toddler Forum

millerpjm
05-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Ok, I must admit I haven't done a lot of research into booster seats yet for my 4YO DS because I bought Regents for my car and DH's car. My questions are in regards to an occasional use seat for the grandparents' cars. I was looking at a Compass 505 today at Target, and was wondering if it would work for DS, but I have some questions.

1. The weight for this booster is 30-100 pounds. My 4YO DS is 31 pounds dripping wet. Is he too light to use a booster?

2. Do booster seats use latch or hook into the car with seatbelts, or do they just sit there on the seat?

Any other suggestions? I have a Graco Platinum Cargo which I don't like, it is difficult to unclip and the harness does not easily adjust. (I'm so spoiled with Britax carseats!) I'd love to get something that goes in easily because I trade the seat between 2 sets of grandparents. TIA!

Jen

mommyto4
05-28-2007, 12:01 PM
He seems too small for a booster to me. How about a combination seat like the Evenflo Generations/Bolero? It would keep him harnessed for now then change it to booster mode when he is a bit bigger.

Joolsplus2
05-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Only the Jane' Indy Plus or Recaro Start connect to the car (or the Cargo and Recaro Young Sport when used as a booster), boosters just generally sit on the vehicle seat. The B505 is pretty bad... no side impact protection, VERY short seat, yet also too tall for little kids, so I'd skip it. The B510 is much nicer, but I still wouldn't put a 4 yo in a booster, honestly... head injury rates are higher for kids under age 5 (and harnessing even longer is still safer, you've got Regents, so youre good, lol).

The Recaro Young Sport is pretty nice, a combo seat like your Cargo, but much higher quality. I think I'd just tolerate the Cargo till he's 40 pounds or too tall for the harness, really...it's not a bad seat, and you'll have to spend biggish bucks to get something nicer that's harnessed...but that's just me :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

millerpjm
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
That's what I thought...probably too small for a booster.

The Cargo isn't horrible, I've just gotten SO used to the ease of using the Britax seats, that I'm spoiled (as I mentioned!).

As always - this board is great! Thanks for the replies.

I can honestly say that my child is safer thanks to the kind people who post informed replies on this board!

Jen