PDA

View Full Version : Cheap *narrow* carseat?

jd11365
05-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm trying to help some friends. Each of their cars has 2 carseats already and they need *something* for carpooling their 3 year olds. They need something cheap and skinny since room is an issue, and were going to pick up a booster. I hate this idea since Kayla, at 4, just now fits right in our spare Compass that we use for carpooling, and these kids *just* turned 3, one is just 31 pounds. The other is 41, so some carseats are already out.

Is there a cheap safer option I can offer to these girls?

o_mom
05-29-2007, 07:01 AM
For the 31 lb - the Graco Cargo w/ front adjuster ($80-100). Very narrow and easy to use. Not great as a booster later, but a good harnessed seat.

For the 41 lb, the cheapest high weight seat is the Apex ($99-120), but not narrow at all. The cheapest narrow seat is the Radian65 ($180). A RideSafer Travel vest might work, but can be a pain on a daily basis - needs a shoulder belt or top tether.

Joolsplus2
05-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Graco Platinum or Cherished or Ultra Cargo (albee had the cherished for $79, not sure about other prices at other places, but that's a good deal).... those all have the same nice narrow profile, tall top slots, and front harness adjusters. Radian is narrower, but not cheaper, but will last about 2 years longer harnessed. Tell them a booster is NOT easier to buckle than a harnessed seat... it's an exercise in scraped knuckles, and not nearly as safe... a situation you want to avoid as long as possible. Good luck!!!!!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jd11365
05-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Just to be clear, this will be one seat they will share for both girls. Does that make sense? They were going to get a booster and split the cost so one could pick up both girls on one week and the other can do it the next. They are neighbors.

Both girls just turned 3, but there is a 10 pound difference.

Joolsplus2
05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Ah crap. Radian :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx