PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Car Seat - cosco scenera or ????

mamalia
05-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi, I am looking to get a second car seat for my 2.25 year old and hoped to get some advice or reassurance. She is really thin - 23 lbs and 33 inches. We have a Boulevard which we love but since this will be a backup seat for Dad/Grandparent's cars we were thinking of purchasing the cosco scenera.

My question is should we be thinking of getting something like the Radian or another seat that will last up through the booster ages? We are trying to spend the least amount of money over the long run.

If the cosco scenera is sufficient, any suggestions on what type or where to get one? We missed the Big Lots sale. :(

Also, totally unrelated but I recently switched her to FF since her preschool teacher mentioned that she was too squished RF. Do you think I switched her too early given her low weight?

Thanks,
Malia

Joolsplus2
05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
"too squished" is something only the child can comment on...adult perceptions mean nothing, if she's under the weight limit for RF and her head is under the top of the seatback. I'd have smiled and thanked the teacher for her concern, but she's under the weight limit, it's safer, and I'll leave her RF, thanks! :)

That said, 2 isn't really too young (Please be sure to top tether the seat, it's a vitally important safety feature to prevent head and neck injury), and for grandparents' car, I'd get something like an Evenflo Generations or Graco Platinum Cargo that FF's only and can be used as a booster when she's 5ish and 40 pounds (ie, too big for the harness). The top slots on those are a fair bit taller than the Scenera, and they can be used as boosters, so you should be able to use it till she's 7 or 8 and outgrows it/it expires, then you can get a cheaper booster till she's big enough for the adult seatbelt (10 or so, older if she's small www.boosterseat.gov explains it all)

The Radian or Apex are quite nice, but have some install issues, and if she's petite, she'll be too tall for them around 40 pounds, anyway, making the extra weight limits kind of worthless to you.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

katiesmommy
05-31-2007, 03:26 PM
My DD is about the same size as yours, maybe a pound or so difference. I have her rear-facing and will have her that way for as long as I possibly can. You can always try turning your DD's Boulevard back and see how she handles it. My DD has been FF all of 3 times, and she hates it. She cries and is constantly handing me her feet because she doesn't know what to do with them. She's not squished at all, she either crosses her legs or dangles them over the sides.

How often will the secondary seat be used. If it won't be often or for long trips, I'd do what Julie said. However, if it will be more then that I'd go ahead and do the Scenera. Ultimatly, for $40, you'll get your money's worth out of it. I've got one too, and DD is still on the middle slots with tons of room before she goes up to the top. I got mine for just under $40 at wal-mart.

HTH

mamalia
05-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Thank you both, I will research these three seats more. Also, is there someplace I can go to have my carseat inspected? I have a feeling we don't have it installed right because I'm not using a tether. Right now we are in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks,
Malia

Joolsplus2
05-31-2007, 07:48 PM
www.seatcheck.org , and possibly see if www.carseat.org (in Altadena) knows of any seat events coming up. Maybe we can help you before you drive anywhere again, though :)... what car, what seating position, are you using LATCH or seatbelt? We can probably help you get that puppy in better than any tech has ever seen a seat installed :D
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx