PDA

View Full Version : Carseat in a convertible?

chays
05-31-2007, 03:44 PM
So this has never occurred to me since I have posted about this car and even had the seat checked but and no one has ever said anything but...

A friend's nanny just told me that they had been told by a previous employer that you can't put a child in a convertible (maybe just with the top down??) until they can sit with the regular seatbelt, no child safety restraint.

I was shocked, we let my 3.5 DS ride in the BMW with the top down ALL THE TIME happily strapped into his Marathon. Is there any truth to this? We live in Maryland.

Help!

Also, the same nanny has 2 Graco CarGos that she uses interchangibly as a booster and 5 point harness depending on the kid she's hauling around. She has them attached with LATCH. I told her she can't use LATCH in booster mode...but she didn't understand why. I confess I couldn't really explain it except to say something confusing about "2 impacts". Is there something a little simpler that I can tell her?

Thanks!
Cheryl

o_mom
06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, I wouldn't take carseat advice from someone obviously misusing her own seats... :-)

AFAIK, you can use a carseat in a convertible. A convertible in general will be less safe than a regular car in a rollover, but that doesn't mean you can't use a carseat in it. Check your vehicle owner's manual, but since new convertibles come with LATCH, I'm guessing it is just fine.

For the Cargo, you are correct. I think you can use the top tether with that seat in booster mode, but not the lower anchors. It is supposed to move with the child in an impact.