PDA

View Full Version : Roundabout vs. Marathon

jswolfe
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm totally confused and need some advice. We currently have a Chicco Keyfit (and LOVE it!). We are getting ready to upgrade to a convertible and have decided on Britax, but can't decide between the Marathon and the Roundabout. My daughter is on the petite side (she is consistently in the 40th percentile) so I'm not sure if she will outgrow the Roundabout. We drive a 2006 Honda CR-V.

Any advice??

Thank you!

Jennifer

o_mom
06-01-2007, 06:07 PM
My DS1 has maybe 1/2-1" left in the RA at 3.5 years. He is very small - 25% or less height and weight. I'm guessing he will outgrow it between 4 and 5 years old. OTOH, he has 3-4" in the MA and will likely make age 6 in that at which point I would probably be comfotable with him in a booster at least part time.

DS2 is 2 years and about 1/2" from outgrowing it rear-facing. I'll switch him to the Marathon at that point and probably get another year rear-facing.

I think the small cost difference - around $40-50 is well worth knowing that you will not need another harnessed seat unless you want one. If you are planning another child within a year or two, it might be worth the gamble on the RA, since you can hand it down if your DD outgrows it. Otherwise, you may find that she is outgrowing it at 3.5-4 years old and is not ready for a booster at that point.

tjham
06-01-2007, 06:30 PM
She's right!

I bought the RA for my daughter to use for my grandson, thinking she would have at least one other child to pass it down to. But I can't talk her into having another baby, just so she can get more use out of the RA. Selfish child! (heehee)

postmodernmommy
06-01-2007, 11:50 PM
FWIW In retrospect we had a RA and wished we had purchased the MA. DD outgrew it around 3 1/2 leaving us scrambling (although that lead us to this board!) where we eventually put her in the Regent to keep her harnessed longer. Wished I had gotten more mileage out of our purchase from infant seat to convertible. I know very few kids who DIDN'T outgrow their RA. It's GREAT for infants/tots, many kids outgrow it quickly putting a lot of kids in boosters way too soon. Good luck with your decision.

Amy :)

stillplayswithbarbies
06-02-2007, 11:24 AM
same here. Wish I had never bought the Roundabout. Even on the great clearance sale, it was still a waste of money since I just had to buy a Radian to replace it because she outgrew it. My other car has a Marathon in it and she will be fine in that until she's ready for a booster.

emmasmama
06-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Same, wish we had just bought an extra MA. My DD (4) is about to outgrow the MA and my DD (2) is about to outgrow the RA. Granted, they are big kids, but it just shows you how variable it is. Better to get the MA and cover your bases.

Jubee
06-02-2007, 09:13 PM
It's impossible to predict your daughter's growth rate, so I would decide based on the two things you do know: 1) She will outgrow the Marathon long after she outgrows the Roundabout 2) She is safer in a harnessed seat no matter the age. My DD outgrew the Wizard (similar to the Marathon in size) at age 5.5. Even then, I felt uncomfortable putting her in a booster. Wish I could have her in a harness now, and she's almost 7!

ppshah
06-02-2007, 10:31 PM
We have one of each and I am shocked that DS at age 4 years and 2 months still fits in the roundabout. He is about 41"(50%) and 34lbs(25%). He has long legs. Once He outgrows the roundabout, he's going to a Regent. DS is an only child.

I think the roundabout is a good decision if:
-you travel alot and want a seat for the plane.
-planning on having another child soon.
-you're child is on the smaller side.
-plan on getting a Regent eventually anyway.

However for a little more money the Marathon will:
-let you possibly rear face longer
-harnessed seat for airtravel longer
-even if your child has a growth spurt, the seat will last for years.

You can't go wrong with either seat.

ppshah
06-02-2007, 10:31 PM
We have one of each and I am shocked that DS at age 4 years and 2 months still fits in the roundabout. He is about 41"(50%) and 34lbs(25%). He has long legs. Once He outgrows the roundabout, he's going to a Regent. DS is an only child.

I think the roundabout is a good decision if:
-you travel alot and want a seat for the plane.
-planning on having another child soon.
-you're child is on the smaller side.
-plan on getting a Regent eventually anyway.

However for a little more money the Marathon will:
-let you possibly rear face longer
-harnessed seat for airtravel longer
-even if your child has a growth spurt, the seat will last for years.

You can't go wrong with either seat.

jswolfe
06-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks to everyone with their advice! I ordered a "couture trellis" Marathon (i's a darling pink pattern). It hasn't been released yet, so I should recieve it in mid to late July, just when I was hoping to switch her over. Thanks for all the advice....it really helped.

Jennifer
DD Mallory 1-5-07