PDA

View Full Version : Britax RA & MA in a Mini Cooper?

wilelm
06-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm really wanting to trade my mini van in for a Mini Cooper, but I'm worried that my car seats won't fit. Does anybody have a Mini with 2 convertible car seats? I have a MA and RA, and am also wondering if a Regent would fit back there.

TIA,

Sheila

dluciew
06-02-2007, 12:42 PM
There was a thread on Baby Center. You might want to ask the mama

http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?sr=y&msg=13444.1&nav=messages&webtag=bcus9421

daniele_ut
06-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Are your seats RF or FF? Our good friends have one and I could try an MA out for you. I really don't think the MA would fit RF without making the passenger seat unusable, but the rear seat is reasonably deep.

Dr_Mom
06-03-2007, 04:36 AM
It depends how tall you and your spouse are, if you plan to use the seats rear-facing. Forward facing shouldn't be a problem. We have 2 Marathons rear-facing in our cars for out twins. My husband is 6'3" and the seats would not fit into our old Camry and 4Runner. We traded in our cars for an Avalon and a Sequoia, respectively, and now they fit just right. I believe the store you buy the seats from should allow you to try the display model in your car before you buy them.

wilelm
06-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Daniele,

That would be great, if it's not too much trouble. Both seats are FF (I know, I know).

Thanks,

Sheila

wilelm
06-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Both seats are FF, and I'm only 5'3". My husband is 6', but wouldn't be riding in it very often, and if we all went somewhere together, we'd take his car.

I will go to the dealership and try the seats, I just don't know when I'll be able to do it. I called to see if they knew, but the salesman was young and didn't have any kids.

Thanks,

Sheila

Joolsplus2
06-03-2007, 10:00 AM
If you won't keep a kid RF that fits in a convertible RF, then just make sure it's installed tightly and top tethered... top tethering is vitally important for safety :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

wilelm
06-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Believe me, I don't think you could move either seat 1/4". The FF vs. RF issue is a huge bone of contention with me and my husband.

Sheila

ecofem
06-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi there -

I'm a proud owner of a MINI Cooper S. Unfortunately, I had to relinquish my car to my husband until my 3-month old son is ready for a FF convertible seat. After months and months of research (heatburn, heartbreak) and personal testing here's my results:

There are very few RF infant seats that fit a MINI and allow a passenger to ride in the front. My Peg Perego Primo Viaggo SIP seat fits... but the passenger seat moves forward somewhat and is uncomfortable for anybody over 5' 4''. Forget using any of the Graco products b/c they are much to big. Combi products also did not work very well.

The same can be said for convertible seats. RF convertible seats don't work well in the MINI b/c it pushes the front seats too far forward. It is my understanding that a Britax Roundabout will fit when in FF mode. I believe that the Marathon is too big. Again, neither of these seats will fit in the RF mode because they push the seats forward too much.

Somewhat OT: My Peg Aria stoller is one of the only that will fit in the boot (trunk)... although other MINI owners are fond of Quinny products that they order from Europe.

I love, love, love my MINI... but rarely get to drive it nowadays. I have to (grudgingly) admit that my Subaru Outback is much, much easier for hauling the kiddo. Hopefully, one day I will get my MINI back... but it will likely not be until 2008.

MINI is supposedly making a 3 or 4 door "large" (for a MINI) car in the next couple of years. Maybe wait for that? Whatever you decide - good luck!

wilelm
06-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks! I had heard there may be a bigger version in the works--guess I'll wait and see.

Sheila

Meghan
06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
DH and I looked at a Mini on Friday. We don't have two kids yet, but are planning on it so we wanted to test to car seats (convertible and infant). Much to our surprise we fit both seats in the back. We put a FF MA behind the driver's seat and our SafeSeat1 behind the passenger seat. I am 5'9" and fit in the passenger seat. I didn't have a lot of leg room, but my knees didn't touch the dash either.