PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Liberty and Britax Companion

alli92
06-02-2007, 12:56 PM
DH and I just installed our Britax Companion in my 05 Jeep Liberty, and I'm not sure we did it the best way possible. We used the LATCH system, because that seems to be the safest, and we put it in the middle of the back seat, rear facing, of course. The problem is that now we can't access the seat belt latches for the two outboard seat positions because the LATCH anchors are obstructing them. So that means that I can't travel with passengers in the back seat! DH asked me if we could install the carseat in one of the outboard seats, or if we should use the middle lap belt instead.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Computer issues, bleh...like the other answer better anyway... :) Welcome to the board!!!

Joolsplus2
06-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that's probably the problem...Jeep doesn't allow center LATCH installs, from what I understand. Does your manual specifically allow a carseat with LATCH in the center? If not, then it's forbidden. Try the seatbelt in the center, the built in lockoffs on the base should make it a very sturdy and simple installation. Or use LATCH in the window/outboard seat, which is still very safe, and will make your life a lot easier (it's kind of a hard seat to get out of the base, and whenever you put it in the base, you MUST put the handle down, so if it's right there next to the door you'll have an easier time of it).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

alli92
06-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Thank you so much! I thought we might have been doing something wrong! So if I use the middle belt, which has a shoulder belt, do I need to buy a lock-off clip?

alli92
06-02-2007, 01:57 PM
the manual is not specific, so we couldn't really figure that out...but given that the passenger seatbelts are unusable if we do use the LATCH with the seat in the middle I'm guessing that it's not recommended.

Joolsplus2
06-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Nope, Britax is da bomb, they have a built in locking clip...just follow the 'installation with a lap/shoulderbelt' section and you should be good :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

alli92
06-02-2007, 02:20 PM
just reinstalled on the passenger side using the LATCH, and it is much better. thank you! (and you're right....the companion is a bit big and heavy...makes me wonder if i should have gotten a snugride instead.)