PDA

View Full Version : Graco Snugride Gracopedic - worth extra $50?

pongstress
06-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Finally decided on Snugride, but now debating between $99 and $149 models.

Should I get Gracopedic Foam in addition to EPS foam? I am worried about overheating -- we are in warm climate and we were too hot sleeping on Tempurpedic memory foam mattress ourselves.

Also, I'm afraid my baby daughter will outgrow the seat sooner because of extra padding.

Regular SR did seem pretty hard at the store, and I know some folks here recommend Gracopedic because of extra padding it offers - I'm just worried about temperature and tight fit. Perhaps I buy removable extra padding and take that out when she gets big?

(I don't need weather boot, blanket, or peek-a-boo window)

Here are the extra features I'd get for the expensive model:

* Gracopedic foam for luxurious comfort
* Double infant head support and comfy harness covers
* All weather boot with blanket protects baby from elements
* Canopy has a little peek-a-boo window to let you look in on your little one

thank you in advance! After this I can finally place an order : )

Joolsplus2
06-04-2007, 06:13 AM
The Safeseat 1 is way more comfortable, even without the gracopedic foam, have you considered that? It's also much easier to install, and will last 6-12 months longer, while fitting in the same strollers as the Snugride. The Snugride is hard to install with a lap/shoulderbelt (a major concern if you have a newer car that doesn't allow LATCH in the middle of the car), it will be outgrown a lot younger if you get the gracopedic foam, and lots and lots of kids absolutely hate the seat without the foam :(. That said, if you have a lapbelt in the middle of your car or LATCH there or intend to install it in the window seat anyway, then the Snugride is fine to install, and lots of kids DON'T hate the less-padded model, and it's a perfectly safe and easy to use seat (the Safeseat is just a much-improved seat, and often cheaper).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

pongstress
06-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi Julie!

Thank you for the input. Yes, I thought long and hard between SR and SS - SS sounds better in every way so I really wanted it - except that I'm small, and have two herniated backs. When I went to the store and checked them both out, SR seemed quite a bit lighter, and ultimately I decided weight is crucial in my case.

As for SS lasting longer - I figured I eventually have to buy the next seat (convertible?) anyhow, so I just have to do it sooner. And by them I won't be lugging 30 lb. anyway. Or is there anything else I should take into account? That the seats would've made more advances if I won't have to upgrade till later?

Oh, and installation, I am planning on getting two SR bases, and using SR with Graco Snugrider stroller frame.

thank you for your expertise on these posts! Much appreciated. Let me know if you have further input for me : )

deannanb
06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
it is not worth the extra foam.
DS was always hot - I said when I have another one, I'm not spending that much money on an infant seat (sold the Graco in a garage sale)

Joolsplus2
06-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Sounds like you need a Combi Connection...definitely the lightest seat available :D.

Yeah, I think the snugride is fine for your case, then, don't spend the money for the foam, it only makes the seat heavier. And yeah, even though you are getting an extra base, you need to look at your seatbelts and find out if a snugride is going to be easy to install. It's *hard* to install with a lap and shoulderbelt. (what cars do you have? I can probably tell you if it'll be hard or easy :) )

And, make sure the snugride you get has a front harness adjuster. (that's the strap that hangs out by the baby's feet).

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

pongstress
06-05-2007, 12:51 PM
sorry newbee error - see posting below

pongstress
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Julie and everyone,

Thank you for the reassurance! wow, a load off my chest. Both of us are under 5'5", and small boned - and it's a girl, so chances are she'll be small.

We have a Toyota Rav 4 and Lexus ES350.

Is a used Combi Flash EX okay with a SnugRide? Turns out I can borrow it for free (not sure how old that particular stroller is.)

On Combi website Graco SR is listed as being compatible, but I read some car seats don't fit perfectly with these universal snap and go types. And the basket isn't accessible with the seat in place or something like that?

thanks again.