PDA

View Full Version : new convertible for baby or combo for preschooler?

redhead72
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Forgive me, I've posted about this dilemma before, but I have taken some action since my last post. Here's the deal: I have an 8 mo dd who is about to outgrow her Snugride and a 36 inch, 27 lb 3.5 year old. We have a 98 Civic (which we plan to replace soon with a Prius or hybrid Camry) and an 04 Passat wagon. My older dd was in a RA in the Civic and an MA in the Passat, but I recently bought a Platinum Cargo on Julie's recommendation for her to use in the Passat and moved the MA to the Civic, where I got rid of the infant seat base and switched the baby to the RA. Now I have the MA and RA in the Civic and the Cargo and Snugride in the Passat, but I need to get something else b/c the baby can't fit in the Snugride much longer (actually, we have a Comfort Sport, but we hate it - especially rear facing). So, we could either buy another seat for my 3 yo and give the baby the MA or we could buy another seat for the baby. Here are the options, as I see them, from least to most expensive:

1) Buy a Scenera for the baby: I assume this adjusts better rear facing than the CS; however, since we are used to the Britax seats, this seems just horribly cheap to us, although it will just be a secondary seat.
2) Buy another Cargo for the 3 yo: This seat seems OK to me as a secondary/travel seat, but I don't know how I'd feel about using it every day. Not only does it seem less comfy and flimsier than the MA and RA, but the straps are harder to adjust and get twisted more easily. Plus, I don't think I'll want to use it as a booster once DD outgrows it (although that will likely be in many, many years).
3) Buy another RA for the baby: I love the RA, but is it overkill for a weekend-only car?
4) Buy another MA for the baby: same drawback as above, but even more $$; however, she could use it for a longer time.
5) Buy some other combo or high weight harness seat for my 3 yo, but which one?

Any advice?

Alix

o_mom
06-04-2007, 04:16 PM
How about a Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe? $129 at AlbeeBaby, made by Britax, 55 lb weight limit, same height as the MA.

mommyto4
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
I second the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. Or, how about a Safety First Uptown for the baby?

Joolsplus2
06-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Maybe a Recaro Young Sport for the 3 yo? I also love the FP and Uptown ideas, too, if you like those seats (Baby Depot has the FP if you want to play with it, it's basically a Marathon)

And, um... you might want to change your signature :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

redhead72
06-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Oops!

Thanks for the advice. I was just about to ask about where to find the FP seat IRL - you read my mind. What about the Recaro Young Sport?

Alix