PDA

View Full Version : Can you look at these pix and tell me if I've installed correctly?

jd11365
06-05-2007, 10:30 PM
2006 Honda Odyssey
Britax Roundabout w/ LATCH

I don't remember using the tether back when Kayla was RFing, so please tell me if I did it correctly. And is my recline ok?

Thanks!

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1890/8902773/16429105/257742357.jpg
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1890/8902773/16429105/257742355.jpg

lisams
06-05-2007, 11:52 PM
On our 07, DH tethered DS's rearfacing Marathon to the same bar you did, but he ran the tether strap between the seat and the adjustment bar (the thing that you pull up on to move the seat forward). He felt that if there was a collision that pulled upward on the tether that it could pull up on that bar and allow the seat to move. Does that make sense?!! Not sure that could happen, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Looks good to me!

Joolsplus2
06-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Yeah, just make sure nothing's moving/pushing on any bars down there and it's fine. You can try to get it a tad more reclined, too, I'm worried her (Taylor...girl, right?) head will flop a bit when she naps (that black shoulderbelt lockoff on the side can be more of a 45 degree diagonal, it's more upright than that now).

:)
Julie CPS Tech (Emeritus) and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

stillplayswithbarbies
06-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I thought Britax said you shouldn't tether to the same seat the carseat is on? When we were rear-facing, we ran the tether under the seat and hooked it to the actual tether point on the back of the seat, and then later Britax came out and said that wasn't allowed. That might be easier than what you have now, if they are now allowing a tether to the same seat.

jd11365
06-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the recline either. That is actually reclined as far as it is because of the tether, otherwise it would be muuuuch less. If I use a pool noodle underneath the bottom of the front of the seat, that's safe, right?

What are your thoughts about tethering to the same seat, like Karen is saying?

Lisa, I'm going to move it...great suggestion, thank you!

Thanks!

ETA: He's definitely a boy... Here is a pic of him in his new throne!
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1890/8902773/16429105/257829075.jpg
He had a touch of floppy head to the side while awake, so I do want to get that recline better somehow.

Here you can see it from the other side...and Kayla's cool new Regent, too. :) I was able to score a BRAND NEW IN BOX w/ tags Blue Bouquet for $150 bucks on CL a few weeks ago. The lady bought an extra for her baby during the whole You Tube fiasco thinking she might not get one again for a long time, and then realized the baby wasn't going to need it for an even longer time. Woot! And I love the pattern, even better than the new Madison coming out. It's like a Hawaiian print, and the blue is perfecto with Kayla's blue eyes. Really nice. :)
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1890/8902773/16429105/257829074.jpg

Joolsplus2
06-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm actually a touch peeved with Britax for making the 'don't tether to the back of the same seat' comment, and then not ever following through with promised extra testing and clarification. The old president of Britax said it was ok, the current LATCH manual says it's ok (it's been independently tested), and the manual for Britax doesn't say it's not ok, so I have no problems tethering to the bottom of the same seat, personally, if that's the easiest available place to tether and any bars that the strap is pressing on won't cut the strap or change the position of the seat.
Just my 2 cents :)

Taylor, I like that name for a boy, actually :). Yeah, go ahead and use a rolled towel or noodle, that old style base was so mega upright! Make sure you have Britaxes permission to use HUGS on your Roundabout, too (1-888-4BRITAX).

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats

stillplayswithbarbies
06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I thought your picture showed it already is tethered to the same seat? It looks like it is going straight down to a bar under the same seat. Isn't that other bar the thing you pull up on to slide the seat back and forth? (and if so you should put the d-ring strap under it so it can't get pulled up and move the seat in an accident)

Kayla looks happy in her Regent, and what a great deal!

jd11365
06-06-2007, 02:14 PM
I did a search when I was installing last night and saw you posting something similar, which is why I went ahead and tethered it there. It's like Don't Ask, Don't Tell for heaven's sake! I gotta be honest, it's a rock solid install. Talk about nit picking. A lot of kids I know are in crappy, outdated seats that aren't even installed close to anything remotely correct, so I'm gonna bet this is pretty darn safe. BUT, I don't want it to be my personal impression of safe, so is this ok? And, I never used that extender before because FF, the hook just fits on the anchor. Is that ok (on my MA in DHs car), or does it have to use that extender?

It does need a noodle though, so if you say that's the way to go, I'll pick one up today. I think Taylor will enjoy it more too. I hope it fits though. The LATCH strap is pulled out most of the way on both sides. We went from a FF position to RF, so I had to rethread it to the front, right?

Thanks so much!

jd11365
06-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Yes it is. You're right, I'm going to put the strap under it. Thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Hehehe, yeah, it's true...we techs will pass around pictures of our kids and we all have *something* that we aren't supposed to have, but it's more important the seat is tight, harness is tight, and kid is in it every trip properly :). (bah humbug on britax and their weird little rules they change in every darned manual...lol)

Yeah, those first LATCH straps were also WAY short, I hope you can fit something under the front there. It was the correct belt path, or I would have told you :)

jd11365
06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Juile! One last question about the HUGS. Any reason why I shouldn't use them? I happened to have an extra set somehow and thought they were from the RA, but I guess they were from my old MA I got rid of after a car accident.

Joolsplus2
06-06-2007, 06:21 PM
I can't honestly think of a reason they could be *bad* on a Roundabout (in fact, some RA's were recalled for too much head excursion when forward facing, and HUGS were the 'fix'), it's just that they didn't come with it, so, I dunno, I'm supposed to say you should check with Britax ;)

jd11365
06-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Ah, thanks! Will call in the am. :) I appreciate all of your help!!

bubbaray
06-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Um, am I blind or what? I can't see a RFg TT in that 2nd photo at all!

DD#2's MA is RFg installed via LATCH in our '05 Ody EX-L 2nd row driver's side. It is waaaaaay more reclined than that. Our seats are leather, but I would think the install would be pretty similar. You should be able to get it more reclined than that.

No way would I (or my DD) be happy with my 4mo DD#2 in a seat that upright.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

lisams
06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Adorable kiddos!!

jd11365
06-06-2007, 09:00 PM
The tether is there...it's straight down and underneat the seat, hooked to the bar.

Yes, when I had a MA, it was reclined more than that, too. From what it sounds from Julie problem is actually with the seat, not as much the install...though that needs more adjustment, hopefully with a pool noodle, I agree. I guess the older model RAs had a super-upright base. I need to put a pool noodle in, but again, with the older model, the LATCH straps are super-short, so I'm not sure if I can get the noodle under *and* get the LATCH straps to reach. I'll make something work though, perhaps a towel. I agree, I'd prefer a better recline.

Your DD might not be happy, but check out the photo of my DS...I'm gonna say he's not that bothered at the moment. ;)

bubbaray
06-06-2007, 09:38 PM
I saw your DS after I posted -- he's a keeper! :)

Could you get more of a recline installing with the belt??

This issue is kinda in my mind today b/c even with my pretty reclined install, my DD#2s head flopped forward today when she was asleep in the seat. And stayed there (I was in traffic and it was a few minutes before I could pull over and put her head back where it should have been). That is, of course, after she had been screaming blue murder earlier in the trip. She is not a happy camper, regardless of her seat or its recline (she has eczema and is itchy all the time, poor thing!).

Apparently, you can install the seat with the seatback reclined, then put the seatback more upright to brace the seat. I dunno how that would work with belts, haven't tried it.

I swear, though, I still don't see the TT belt in the second photo. I need sleep!

Oh yeah, FWIW, our seat is TTd to the same seat, underneath on a bar. There is a thread about it here somewhere b/c I posted asking if it was OK. DH w/n happy TTg to the drivers seat b/c of all the seat electronics down there. And, there isn't anywhere to TT on the front row console on the drivers side.

You'd think with 17 or so cupholders, they could throw in a couple of TT points, KWIM?

Melissa

jd11365
06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Ok, I'm dripping with sweat after trying to reinstall, but how's this?
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1890/8902773/16429105/257952609.jpg
I used a rolled towel. This is the best I can get, in addition to being able to scoot the front seat back to accomodate my DH if need be. Tell me what you think.

It *just* made it with the LATCH straps. I really didn't want to use the seatbelt, but it did cross my mind, too. Hopefully this will work. I'm more comfortable with this extra recline, myself.

I swear it's tethered. Honestly, that's the only way I'm getting it to recline, by actually pulling it back.

Taylor would be happy riding upside down. He's the happiest little camper. Kayla hated any carseat...stroller, bouncer, etc., but I digress. And you're right, with 17 cupholders the could have spared a RF anchor!

jd11365
06-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Lisa!

bubbaray
06-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Two thumbs up. And, yes, now I do see the TT. :)

Melissa

Joolsplus2
06-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Score! Looks good :)