PDA

View Full Version : BV or booster?

natesmomdrsuz
06-06-2007, 07:26 AM
I have a 20 lb 1yo(DD) in a keyfit and a 30 lb, 3ft 3yo(DS) in a marathon. Right now they are in our '99 camry, but we are thinking about getting an Odyssey soon as our 2nd car. We would be using the Odyssey most of the time, and taking the kids in the camry occasionally. I don't know whether to just get two new Boulevards, to keep the 3 yo safe as possible for as long as possible, or if we'd be better off just using his old MA for DS and getting him a booster (ie, recaro, radian). This would leave the camry seatless, but we do have an old graco, which has been our backup/air travel seat, that we could put in there. I'm leaning toward getting 2 new seats, of course, while DH would rather save the $, but he would easily go with the safest option possible either way. Any advice?

Joolsplus2
06-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Your Camry doesn't have top tether anchors, so I'd want to use either a Britax (they are all pretty good in side impacts, maybe just get a cheap Marathon?), with the shoulderbelt lockoff that helps the seat perform almost as well as with a top tether, or a Radian, that performs extremely well without a top tether or a lockoff (that doesn't become a booster, by the way, and I'm not sure how it installs in a Camry...I know it's great in a minivan!). Just focus on what you have right now and worry about what you get later... like one Marathon or BV for the baby now, and maybe a Recaro Young Sport for the 3 yo in the van when you eventually get it?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

natesmomdrsuz
06-06-2007, 04:40 PM
well, the minivan will likely be within the next 1-2 months. Also, with DD eating everything in sight, she will be past the weight limit for her infant seat by next week and is already at the height limit. I was wondering, though, since DS is still only 30 lb, 36 inches, whether the Recaro Young sport or the marathon (or a new BV)would be better for him for now? For some reason I'm thinking the convertible is still safer than the booster until he outgrows it, although I'm not sure on that.

Joolsplus2
06-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Anything with a 5-pt harness is acceptable, no diff. in safety between a convertible (Marathon/Boulevard/Radian) or a combo (Young Sport)... Even a Safeguard Seat, Regent, or Safeseat 2 would be nice choices (just harnessed forward only seats).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx