PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have issues w/ Apex arm rests?

clc053103
06-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I have had an Apex for about 2 weeks now for my 21 month old DS. It seems like the ideal second seat- nice and roomy, easy and solid install, easy to use.

On the first day we used the seat, DS figured out how to remove the arm rest covers, which do not attach in any way.

Tonight, after being in the seat just about 5 times, he removed the arm rest covers and got his finger stuck in a small, sharp edged hole in the arm rest. DH was trying to take him out of the seat and he refused to move his arm from under the strap. I stepped in to see if I could coax him out (he usually is happy to get out of the car so I thought this was strange) and realized he wasn't moving because his finger was stuck!

Am I crazy to think this is a safety hazard? I already wrote to Dorel about this. I was thinking I should try using velcro strips to hold the arm rest covers on the arm rests. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and if so, how did you handle it? My original thought when I saw DS would continue to remove the covers was to just ditch them- but now seeing the dangerous hole in the plastic, I need to find a way to keep them on.

Thanks for any ideas!

natmurr
06-07-2007, 06:51 AM
yeah, my DS had the covers off about 30 secs after I took it out of the box. That coupled with the flimsy headrest (even with the top tether) and the short crotch strap this seat went back to the store.

We ended up with the Radian and I love it!

Natalie

clc053103
06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Did you happen to notice the whole in the plastic armrest underneath? I think it's only on the left side on mine.

I can't return it b/c I got it at albeebaby- would have to pay shipping and restocking fee. I am hoping the company can do something. I don't need his finger getting stuck again! I will check out the radian as well!

thanks for commiserating!

ETA: I called Dorel and they were very nice- no way to fix the removable arm rests but states newer models do not have the hole in the plastic- I will need to send proof of destruction and receipt, and they will send a new one. I didn't even ask- they offered. Great CS!

mom2binsd
06-10-2007, 10:02 PM
My DD who just turned 4 found the hole on her second trip in her new Apex (on the way to her first dance recital)- we had to pull over and coax her finger out, luckily she didn't hurt the finger, I guess I'll be calling Dorel this week, in the meantime I think a piece of electrical tape over the hole will do (I have holes on both armrests and can't figure out their purpose).

JBaxter
06-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Nathan actually cut his finger in the hole. I called and complained they sent me a new seat..... STILL HAS THE SAME HOLES. Try Gorilla tape its black and stick like duct tape.