PDA

View Full Version : Rear facing tether????

boyzmom
06-07-2007, 07:57 AM
I am sure this is probably an asked already question but I can't seem to find.

We have a 2006 Sienna and I have a 7 month old rear facing in an evenflo triumph dlx. Can I tether it rear facing??? to what??

Thanks

crAbbymom
06-07-2007, 08:16 AM
No, only Britax convertables and the Sunshine Kids Radian can be tethered rear facing.

boyzmom
06-07-2007, 08:21 AM
ok thanks. I was thinking of buying a radian. Would you say that is a seat you could use untill your child is old enough for a seatbelt. I am hoping to keep mine five point for as long as possible without buying a bunch of seats.

crAbbymom
06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I have no idea how a Radian will work in the Sienna, I have a Regent and MA :)

That being said, I have heard it both ways... Someone here says she gets a great install using LATCH in one of the captains chairs. Over at car-seat.org, I've read that several techs couldn't get a good install. Maybe it was in the 3rd row or using the seatbelt (which you would have to do after 48lbs anyway).

Either way, you would still need a booster after the Radian. From what I understand, most kids will outgrow it 6-7ish and at that age, they would still need a booster.

boyzmom
06-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks I will have to do some more research on the fit in my car. I have a Apex Elite now for DS1 so that could very well be my booster. but then again 6 or 7 years old I would probably find something else as there are new seats all of the time

Jubee
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
If you do get a seat that needs RF tether, you can tether to the leg of the driver or passenger seat. That's what we did with our britax in the sienna.

Joolsplus2
06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
The Radian fits ok in the captain's chair of a Sienna...it will last MUCH longer rearfacing than the Triumph (a couple of years longer, unless he's really heavy and hits 33 pounds very young), and a couple years longer harnessed (same as the Apex, but it doesn't become a booster).

Apex or Radian should keep kids harnessed to 6ish, then they must be in boosters till about age 10 :) (www.boosterseat.gov)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

boyzmom
06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all of the info. My DS1 is in the apex now he is 2.5 and 38 lbs. DS2 is 7 months and he is already 20 pounds. the little chunker. I don't have tons of money right now but would like to get something that is going to last awhile. I don;t know if I should just wait or get a new seat for DS2. I guess what I have now is serving its purpose I was hoping to eventually instal the radian in the rear. Does it not install well there?

sivan
06-07-2007, 08:41 PM
i'm so confused! when i came on looking for a seat for my son, i was told the radian wouldn't install properly in the Sienna, so I bought a Regent. But i'd rather the narrow radian if it does work!

boyzmom
06-08-2007, 05:31 AM
I think everyone is sying it instlls ok in the captains chairs. I am stll hoping someone sys it installs in the back row I would love to be able to posibly have 3 kiddos across back there if I have my niece who is out of a seat. This is all so confusing but worth it for our kids safety.

murphydog77
06-09-2007, 03:28 PM
The Radian absolutely does NOT install well in the 3rd row of the newer body style Sienna. Uh uh, no way, ain't no how ;). Or if you have stiff buckle stalks, like those that are metal instead of webbing. After wrestling with the seat in my 3rd row for over an hour, I was too tired and frustrated to give it a try in my 2nd row captain's chair (I already had car seats installed there and would have had to uninstall one, then reinstall it--yes, easy to do, but still ;)).

Heather, CPS Tech/Instr.
http://www.CarSeatSite.com