PDA

View Full Version : Yes you can! 3 Britax in 1999 Subaru Outback

kfk
06-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, there's not a millimeter to spare, but yesterday we got 3 Britax carseats across the back of our 1999 Subaru Outback/Legacy wagon (with the expert assistance of the proprietor of a local baby shop). The boys FF Marathons are still in the outboard positions, but now securely tethered as we finally retrofitted the car with anchors. Baby girl will be in a RF Roundabout in the middle, tethered underneath the front passenger seat. There was no way an infant seat was going to fit in any configuration that retained our Marathons, so we just went with the Roundabout. At least it's a great seat, and we won't have to upgrade or shift the carseats for quite awhile!

For now, the boys are having fun putting their stuffed animals in baby girl's seat.

stella
06-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Congratulations on getting them all in!

We have 2 MAs and I have moved them to outboard and middle in my Honda Pilot. I have not yet had any luck fitting an infant seat in the space behind the driver's seat...maybe I should try a RA instead.

How easy will it be to place and buckle baby girl in the middle when there is a MA on either side? Have you practiced whether this is possible?

kfk
06-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't think it will be easy, but it will be doable (at least once I recover from my c-section). Even with my big pregnant tummy, I can lean over an empty Marathon and buckle/adjust the Roundabout. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to lean over the boys (or at least my petite boy) and do the same. Of course, baby girl doesn't arrive until July to put it to the test IRL.

Other than that, the main hassle is not having the freedom to leave baby girl in an infant seat and carry her with us. However, that is only a time-limited convenience, depending on the weight of the baby, and since I'll be chasing 2 others, I think I'll be wearing the baby quite a bit.

The other positive thing about this configuration (other than the fact we didn't have to buy 3 new seats or a new car and that we can keep it until we switch baby girl to FF), is that the boys can help with baby during car trips, and it keeps them from being on top of each other (they aren't usually physical with each other, but nice not to have to put that to the test).

niccig
06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Well done. Glad they fit w/o expense of extra seats.