PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about the Regent- Do you love yours or wish you'd gotten something else?

nofeea
06-08-2007, 03:09 PM
DD is 35 lbs and 42 inches at 4.5 yrs. I'd like to move 5 mo. old DS into her Wizard and move her up to something else. I was almost sold on the Regent...now I'm not sure. I've heard that the straps can be twisty and I need DD to be able to buckle herself in. (She does that now in her Wizard). I'm also worried about her head flopping forward if she falls asleep. (She's used to the Wizard wings.) I'd like her to stay harnassed longer but maybe to 65lbs. is enough? Should I go with the Wizard or something else? Thanks!
(I wanted to see the Regent in person but couldn't find any in stores around where I live...)

alexsmommy
06-08-2007, 03:28 PM
We love ours. DS sleeps fine in it - I think if we do a really long car trip I might bring him a little travel pillow, but it's generally been a non-issue. The straps are a little twisty, but I always look and if they are twisted, DS can undo the clip and untwist it himself. It really doesn't seem to happen to us that often.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

emmasmama
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
We really like it -- my DH calls it the "Lazyboy". My DD sleeps in it all the time and haven't had trouble with twisty straps. It's a good choice if you're going to leave it in the car and not carpool or travel with it. It's not a good choice if you want to travel with a seat too or have to do even infrequent moving between cars.

Nooknookmom
06-08-2007, 05:10 PM
We had the original version the *super elite* and DD loved it. Slept great on long road trips and she could buckle in just fine.

wendmatt
06-08-2007, 09:54 PM
DD loves her Regent, it looks so comfy for her. I haven't found the straps to be twisty, I don't loosen and tighten them each time (unless she's wearing more/less clothing), so I have to buckle her in as it's a squeeze, but it's a great seat. It is big and heavy to move to another car but very doable as I've moved it into my friends mini van a number of times to go on school trips. It's easy to install. I'm very glad we got it. DD doesn't sleep in it too much but is fine when she does.

mommyto4
06-08-2007, 10:12 PM
We have two Huskies (same as Regent) and we love them. I have never had a problem with twisty straps and both of my girls buckled themselves in. We also have not had any problems with floppy heads when they fall asleep in the car.

hipmaman
06-09-2007, 05:41 AM
I think the Regent is a great seat for a 4.5 yrs old. Not an issue of twisty harness straps with our 2 Huskies (but I loosen/tighten the straps for each use, so that would help with twisty straps instead of a child trying to squeeze him/herself into a 'preset' length of straps). Buckle system is the same as the WZ, so yes, she can still buckle herself into the Regent.

Adding that my ds has been in the Husky since about 3.5 yrs old after outgrowing his WZ. My dd has been in it since 4.5 yrs old or so. They are still in them and still have room to grow at 6 yrs old and almost 8 yrs old.

You might want to look at the new Recaro harness carseats which are due out soon. The Signo and Como which are harnessed to 70 lbs and have high top harness slots.

hez
06-09-2007, 09:07 AM
DS likes his Regent very well. When he falls asleep, his head invariably falls to the left (he sits in the captain's chair on the passenger side. I think that's because he's usually looking towards the middle to see out the front. Anyway, he doesn't normally have a head flopping issue-- it's usually resting on his shoulder/side of the car seat.

I don't think we have a strap twisting issue. If we do, it doesn't bug me enough to even think about it!

The only thing DS complains about are his straps being 'too tight' but I think that's because I tighten them more than DH does. He complains the same way in the Marathon in DH's car if I tighten them.

nofeea
06-10-2007, 02:05 PM
MMMMmmmm. I think I'm tempted by the Signo. I really like the adjustable knob (like the Wizard) and the extra head-rest/ support. Do you think it will fit between my 2 Wizards in the middle seat, middle row of my Sienna? And when will it really be out? I need something now but I guess I could temporarily get a Radian which I will eventually switch into my DH's car when I get the Signa (or Regent... or ????) for my car. She's got another 5 pounds until she outgrows her seat in DH's car and we need something narrow for his Civic.

I just keep questioning if I should really be getting another convertible seat instead of something that converts to a booster... I guess if my DD doesn't complain, it's really safer...

What would you do?

Thanks!!!

Joolsplus2
06-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Maybe a Recaro Young Sport would suit you all better? Since you have lightweight kiddos, the harness being a tad taller than the Wizard will be fine to go to a full 40 pounds, then it becomes an excellent booster seat. What year civic? Maybe the Safeguard Go would be a good choice, too (harnesses to 60 pounds, but works best with lower LATCH and requires a top anchor and headrest).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

nofeea
06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Julie.
Yes, I really like the look and the headrest of the Young Sport as well as the fact that it becomes a real booster (which I expect DD will insist on at some point). I've just been wondering about how long I should really try to keep her harnessed. (Especially in the "Primary Car"-the Sienna). There's been so much concern since the "Kyle" video that now I'm all confused about what to do. But maybe for my "lightweights" 40 lbs. is enough?

The Civic is a 2002. DH would like to be able to fit 3 in the back (right now I've got 2 Scenaras) so I was trying to find something really narrow to fit between them. The Go would fit that bill but I'm not sure the Civic has a headrest. (I'm guessing, no, but I'd have to go out and check.) I'm not sure which seat positions have a top tether either.

I seem to be changing my mind every day (at least once!) PLEASE help me figure this out (this week if possible since DS just reached 26"and needs to get out of his snugride!!(though he is still more than an inch from the top)). If I could make a decision on at least ONE seat I could procrastinate a bit on the other....

ETA: Oh, no... I just read about the 40" height limit for harnessing in the Young Sport...I haven't measured her torso but I don't think we'll make it the extra 5 lbs. :( (I know from dressing her she has short legs!!)

Joolsplus2
06-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Oh, height limits are just guidelines, you can use it till her shoulders creep above the top slots, no problem, no matter how tall she is. Civic has 3 top anchor points... Scenera/Scenera or Marathon/Radian or Radian/Radian will fit next to each other, with whatever seat on the other side, maybe even a Parkway for that car?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

postmodernmommy
06-11-2007, 09:50 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE our two Regents (one in each car). Have never had a twisty strap problem. They're such a comfy seat. DD like to sit "criss cross applesauce" and has lots of shoulder room. We do use a travel pillow or similar when on road trips. She also can buckle herself in (but I always check it just to make sure ;) We move the seat all the time from center to outboard when we haul other kids around and I love the installation (we use no recline bar, long belt path with lap/shoulder belt). We're HUGE fans of this seat. Can't recommend it enough.

Amy :)

DD (just turned 5!) 42 inches 40 lbs