PDA

View Full Version : Installing Marathon on European tour bus?

carriebryce
06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
We are flying to Ireland next week with our 14 month old and I have concerns about my Marathon fitting on the tourbus we'll be on for the trip. I already have instructions on installing the seat on the airplane (although Aer Lingus requires all seats to be Forward facing which irritates me since he is still happily rear facing in our vehicles).

Has anyone had any experience installing a carseat on a bus? Did you do FF or RF? I don't know what kind of seat belts the bus has, but I'm about 95% pretty certain they are only lap belts, no shoulder belt. Please share your experiences! Thank you!

Momof3Labs
06-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Most busses don't have any seat belts at all and don't allow for car seat installation. Have you been told that the bus definitely has seat belts?

carriebryce
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
There was new legislation passed recently in Ireland that requires all buses to have seatbelts, so I'm sure this one has them. I've actually been on it before (the same tour bus) but I didn't have kids then so I didn't think to inpsect the seats.

tjham
06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Not what you asked, but...if it were me going, I would get a Scenera to travel with. Much lighter and easily to schlep around! Have fun!

shburks
06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Perhaps your best bet is to contact the tour bus company directly and ask them. We actually cancelled a planned trip to New Zealand when ds was about this age for this very reason--what to do on a bus! (Not saying you should cancel your trip!!)

I would think you might have difficulty putting a carseat rearfacing on a bus since the seats tend to be so close together--maybe worse than airplane seats! Also, you tend to need a longer belt for rearfacing, so you'd need to make sure that there's enough belt length.

If the seat on the bus is doable, I totally second the idea of a Scenara. SO much lighter and easier to travel with than the Marathon.

Susan

dylansnan
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
I just wanted to second calling the tour company. I was on a tour bus in Paris recently, and it it did have lap-belts (also new law in France) but the seats were narrow and close together- no way a Marathon would fit, I'm not sure any seat would fit. Sorry about that, hope you find a solution, and have a great trip.