PDA

View Full Version : Need inexpensive 2nd car seat for vacation.

ittybittyone
06-11-2007, 01:43 PM
I'll be taking my 22-pound 21-month-old son on 2 short plane trips (he'll be riding on my lap) in August and need an inexpensive second car seat to check on the plane and use in cars while there. I'll be 4-1/2 months pregnant, so the less monstrous the thing, the better. We have a Britax DC for him, but I don't want it to get damaged in transit. Plus, it's huge. So I want to leave it at home and get a second seat for the trips. Anybody know of any good deals right now? I'm talking CHEAP! My husband is a med student and we're on a budget, ladies. :) Any more Big Lots sales with $30 seats like last month coming up?!

Joolsplus2
06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Last time I saw the Scenera at Walmart it was 39$, that's as cheap as it comes, unless you go to Big Lots, like, today, and see if there's one still left there. The walmart one comes in a plastic bag, so great for gate checking (I'd be leary of checking it with luggage...if it gets lost, you'd be stuck at the airport on the other end!) But it's light and will hang on the back of your stroller easily.

One Tip: Definitely practice installing it before you go...if he's not 34 inches tall, he of course must use it rearfacing (that's the minimum on that seat, and he's small, it is of course safest to rearface as long as he's under 35 pounds and the top of the seatback)...it's NOT the same kind of seat to install as the DC, it's totally wobbly and cheap feeling, and you have to get accustomed to it when you are calm and not stressed in the parking lot of the airport!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ittybittyone
06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Thank you, Julie. I was figuring that checking it with the luggage would actually be a safer bet as I've heard of gate checked seats getting delayed (because of last-minute loading, I suppose?). But if gate checking is a better bet, of course I'll do that! Walmart.com is out of stock of the Scenera right now, but I haven't checked the store in person yet. I did just find a Cosco Gotham at Target.com for $49.99. It looks pretty close to the Scenera, do you think it would work for me? I think I'll run by Big Lots and take a peek first for the Scenera just in case, though. I don't remember how tall DS is, but he is a tiny one (under 5 lbs at birth), so he'll be rearfacing for quite a while. Thankfully I'll have help on both ends of the airports, it's just past security and on the plane that I'll be alone. But I will practice the install before the trips! Thanks again.

Kim

Joolsplus2
06-11-2007, 05:15 PM
The Gotham is FF only,a nd the top slots are lower than the Scenera! Go figure!
Gate checking has been pretty foolproof lately... I don't remember what airline I just flew on, but they called it Valet service and all the business guys were happily gate checking their carryon bags and getting them right back at landing time (maybe american eagle?)

ittybittyone
06-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Great, I'll definitely gate check then! I'm flying Southwest and US Airways - cheap fares ;) - but hopefully they'll do just as well since they're commuter flights. I just got back from the stores looking for the Scenera. Big Lots was out, but there were 4 of them at our Wal-Mart, so I grabbed one ($39.84). It's definitely light weight, and it's great that it comes in a bag. I think it will work perfectly for our trips. Thanks again for your help, Julie.

bensmom
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
I think that's just on the regional jets where the overhead bins are teeny-tiny and won't fit their normal carry-ons. I haven't seen it on "big" airplanes.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

stillplayswithbarbies
06-12-2007, 09:29 AM
take it with you on the plane and use it. It's much much safer than holding the baby on your lap and that way you are sure you will have it at the other end. If there are empty seats they will move people around so you can use the carseat on the plane for free.

Joolsplus2
06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
It's true, if there are any empty seats, they will be more than happy to let you bring your seat on the plane. One Flight Attendant went so far as to say Never buy a seat, just bring one, you can almost always get one free! (I didn't really believe her, I've been on some pretty crammed flights, but still it was telling she said that!)

:)

kbudsberg
06-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I got a seat everytime w/my dd when she was under 2 and I never paid for it. I find it's easiest on SW. No one wants to sit next to a baby/toddler unless it's the last seat on the plane. If you have assigned seats wait until the end to board. The agent may say it's full and you go ahead and gate check your carseat and then it turns out it's not. If you wait you can double check before boarding if there is an empty seat. As a flight attendant, I always rearranged people to accomodate a carseat and most everytime people cooperated. Also, gate checking is much safer than checking it as baggage. Fewer people handle it. You can gate check a stroller or carseat on any flight. It's only the regionals that gate check other carry-ons because the bins are smaller.

Also you can get help after security. My parents were able to get passes from SW to go through security w/me to help me (I was pregnant, had me 3 year old and a migraine). They said no problem and gave them passes to get through security. My mom also got one to meet my plane when I arrived one time. No problems again. My dad tried to get one from Delta they said they could but the manager had to approve it and he/she was in a meeting. So you may want to give it a try.

BTW I love my Scenra for airplane travel. I fly about every other month w/it.

Kim